The corruption of Audacity

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: The corruption of Audacity

Post by Largos »

TAERSH wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:09 pm
Largos wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:39 pm I don't know why instead of just not using/updating to any further editions of audacity, you're thinking of switching to programs that haven't been worked on in years :lol:
Program's names, please?
rezound and mhwaveedit. Both their pages say they haven't had updates for years.
folderol wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:48 pm I've just tried mhwaveedit. This is actually better for my needs, so that's reason enough. Even if that were not the case, there is the matter of principle - unlike many companies these days, some of us still have them.
It''ll be fine using pre-telemetry audacity though. mhwaveedit is nice, could do with a better way to find effects in the dialog, as well as a preview.

falkTK said, on that github page, he'd do a fork with the telemetry taken out. So, that's a positive.
a.d.
Established Member

Post by a.d. »

There's been an update to the pr: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/pull/835
Dear all,

Due to the large amount of worry about this PR, (which we completely understand), we want to clarify exactly what is going on:

Telemetry is strictly optional and disabled by default. No data is shared unless you choose to opt-in and enable telemetry.
Telemetry only works in the builds made by GitHub CI from the official repo (the telemetry URLs are only defined there).
If you are compiling Audacity from source, we will provide a CMake option to enable the telemetry code. This option will be turned off by default.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Just dropping by to add one to the Audacity-Replacements-Free-for-All side of the thread.

I tried Sonic Visualiser some time ago. I did not end up sticking with it. Check it out:

https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

Bye!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Surely not these people?
https://themusegroup.co.uk/

If the alarm bells weren't ringing before, they should now be jumping off the wall :shock:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

sunrat wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:00 pm No it's https://mu.se/
Simply explained - https://librearts.org/2021/05/ultimate- ... -audacity/
Oh, Thanks. That a lot better... I think!
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

merlyn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 pm
bhilmers wrote:Not going to happen, ever. Anyone who would be interested in working on an audio editor is probably already contributing to a project like this already.
I know you're familiar with logical fallacies and while I don't see an obvious one here it is a weak argument. You've heard of black swans I take it?
It's hyperbole, but also the truth. I just get tired of the knee-jerk reaction by the FOSS community. Anytime there is a perceived slight in a popular FOSS project people scream "FORK!" almost as a threat as if there were an actual fork hanging over developers like the Sword of Damocles. Forks rarely happen and when they do they are rarely successful. But you know what is often successful? Reaching out to the developers and working with them. Letting them know there are different, better ways to achieve a goal. That's the true power of FOSS, not forks.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

There are legitimate reasons for forks.
When the original developers explicitly announced a future which is contrary to the users wishes.

Now, Audacity did not say "Money above everything else!" but their messaging drastically shifted into clear "corporate speech" in a short matter of time. When considering previous handling of UltimateGuitar tabs and MuseScore, there is reason for concern.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

nilshi wrote:... reasons for forks. When the original developers... contrary to the users wishes.
Quick question:

If someone forked Laborejo because they felt the developer was spending too much time working on New Session Manager, would that rip a hole in the Time-Space Continuum?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm
nilshi wrote:... reasons for forks. When the original developers... contrary to the users wishes.
Quick question:

If someone forked Laborejo because they felt the developer was spending too much time working on New Session Manager, would that rip a hole in the Time-Space Continuum?
It would not. I would port back all the work they did and then add some of my own ideas, creating something better even for less calories spent.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

nilshi wrote:I would port back... and add some ideas
... which the developer of the fork would port back, adding some of his own ideas, etc.

I consulted my Star Trek Geek Encyclopedia. If what you say is true, then we are already stuck in a "Time Distortion Feedback Loop". According to my projections, the rate of audio fork proliferations will increase until the following event occurs:

On September 11, 2021, Canonical will release its next version of Ubuntu ("Masturbating Monkey") containing Canonical's own always-buggy fork of PipeWire. Someone will run this version, and open an Ardour project. DragonFly reverb will suddenly produce a burst of noise so loud that it will render all of Earth's inhabitants deaf, thus rendering all music software useless.

In order to stop this chain of events, and break out of the distortion loop, we must do the following 2 things:

1) Immediately stop all forking of audio software. No, really. Stop. I said "Stop it, goddammit!"

2) Send someone back in time to kill Jaroslav Kysela before he has a chance to create ALSA, an audio API so convoluted and poorly documented, that it has prompted a record number of new "audio APIs" whose sole purpose is to give developers something besides ALSA's API.

This is humanity's last chance to fix the Linux sound support.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Oh dear,
I think (with that denialist negativity) you've just revealed your true undying love of the rich diverse variety in FLOSS audio software, and especially how absolutely besotted you are with ALSA, and all it's delights :D
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:49 pm On September 11, 2021, Canonical will release its next version of Ubuntu ("Masturbating Monkey")

Noooo, this name must be reserved for a LTS
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

'Monkey' is too general... Canonical always wants you to be impressed with their knowledge of animal species, that way if the OS disappoints you can always think "well dang it they sure know a lot about animals...how bad could they be!??

"Masturbating Mangabey"