Thank-a-developer day

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Thank-a-developer day

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

briandc wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:01 pm A very special thanks to you too, folderol!
Yoshimi is an amazing instrument, an almost impossible act to follow. I wish I had a fraction of the talent that you and the others working on the project have. Maybe in another life..! :) (Time shortage is always a limitation!)
Linux audio wouldn't be the same without you.

Brian
Sorry for replying so late. But: wow! @folderol derol are you the dev of Yoshimi? That must be pretty hard work.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rui Nuno Capela (aka @rncbc link website) for developing my favorite sequencer/DAW Qtractor. And Filipe Coelho (aka @FalkTX link website) for KXStudio, Carla and much more which I can't do without on Linux. @raboof : thanks for keeping up this website. And many more who I forgot.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for devs to put into their signature what software they maintain and create? Sometimes we get help here from the dev himself, but we don't realize it. Sometimes I accidentally go into a "discussion" w/ the dev himself or place a redundant remark in a topic after the dev himself already explained how it really works. :wink:

[edit: Used the @ symbol to get them notified. Unfortunately falkTX is no longer a forum member]
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am
briandc wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:01 pm A very special thanks to you too, folderol!
Yoshimi is an amazing instrument, an almost impossible act to follow. I wish I had a fraction of the talent that you and the others working on the project have. Maybe in another life..! :) (Time shortage is always a limitation!)
Linux audio wouldn't be the same without you.

Brian
Sorry for replying so late. But: wow! Federol are you the dev of Yoshimi? That must be pretty hard work.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rui Nuno Capela (aka rnbc) for developing my favorite sequencer/DAW Qtractor. And Filipe Coelho (aka FalkTX) for KXStudio, Carla and much more which I can't do without on Linux. Raboof: thanks for keeping up this website. And many more who I forgot.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for devs to put into their signature what software they maintain and create? Sometimes we get help here from the dev himself, but we don't realize it. Sometimes I accidentally go into a "discussion" w/ the dev himself or place a redundant remark in a topic after the dev himself already explained how it really works. :wink:
You can tag them so that they get notified: @rncbc @folderol :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Actually, I want to thank Matt Tytel (@tytel?) for Helm. I saw the 1 cent donation stuff on Twitter, pretty sad. We users of libre software should pay for it a decent amount if we have the means of doing so.

From reading the unofficial site https://vitalwatch.info/ it seems that Vital, his next synth, is going to be proprietary (I personally hope it will be like Ardour, paid but libre). If so, I would wholly understand it and am ashamed of how we failed to reward the greatness of Helm.

If you are reading, please man, don't give up on us, I hope you will decide to release Vital as free software some day and even if you don't, I wanted you to know that you did a lot for many people already!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
marbangens
Established Member

Post by marbangens »

When we are forced to pay. We usually just do it. But when we get freedom, we don't know how to choose. Its in our attitude to not pay for something with our free will. We are like robots.

Microsoft and appel they all used business strategies to teach users to buy closed source software. Open source need to have a some economic businesses system. like if you develop open source software you get some tax money from you country. just to stay alive and have food to do it if you really want to do it full time.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

marbangens wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am When we are forced to pay. We usually just do it. But when we get freedom, we don't know how to choose. Its in our attitude to not pay for something with our free will. We are like robots.

Microsoft and appel they all used business strategies to teach users to buy closed source software. Open source need to have a some economic businesses system. like if you develop open source software you get some tax money from you country. just to stay alive and have food to do it if you really want to do it full time.
It would be nice to see developers getting the recognition they deserve. Lots of stressful (even painful) hard work to make things for everyone to enjoy and build on, in order to make "the computer world" a better place. In other words, doing the most noble thing possible: sharing.
It's sad to see that a lot of people still don't view things that way... hopefully the tide is changing though. Even if just a bit at a time. :)

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Worth a bump... I just wanted to say "THANK YOU!!" again (can't say it enough!) to everyone working to make linux the best and coolest platform for musicians! :)

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Thank you for not forking my software, you back-stabbing parasites.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 am Thank you for not forking my software, you back-stabbing parasites.
Thank the Plugin Guru folks for forking my software, so that I don't have to maintain a JUCE version.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Michael Willis wrote:I don't have to maintain a JUCE version.
Someone asked me if I had plans to make a JUCE version of my software. But like Nancy Reagan's anti-drug campaign in the 1980's, my motto is:

JUCE say no.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.