"Sonoj", a community organized event about Open Source Music Production struggles to get funded. Please help

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nils
Established Member

"Sonoj", a community organized event about Open Source Music Production struggles to get funded. Please help

Post by nils »

Disclaimer: I am an organizer of this event

In less than a month the "Sonoj Convention" shall happen.
Admission is free. You will be able to enjoy demonstrations, talks and workshops about music production through open source software. Hands-on tutorials and workflow presentations can be expected. Everything will be recorded and released as online videos afterwards.
Please consider helping us by donating and spreading the word. You will get some appreciation through the "Reward" system on the website.

For that we are asking for some modest donations here:
https://www.startnext.com/en/sonoj

Currently it looks like that this will not succeed, as you can see from the link above. This is the usual "all or nothing" platform that only gives you money if the goal is reached, otherwise donors get their money back.

However, despite submitting the event announcements and several updates to nearly one hundred on-topic websites, magazines (including posting it ourselves on KVR, Reddit etc.) and blogs there is nearly zero response. That excludes the Linux Audio Scene itself, which was very supportive to this day (at least the news, not the donations).

I was hoping that Sonoj could be an event that brings in people from the "outside", that are not already well connected with Linux Audio already. It seems I was wrong.

So here I am in one of the last places I wanted to ask for donations, because this is the crowd that usually already gives a lot, be it their own time, development of software or actual donations to well deserving projects.

Please consider helping us by donating and spreading the word. You will get some appreciation through the "Reward" system on the website.
https://www.startnext.com/en/sonoj

Yours
Nils, for the Sonoj Convention
https://www.sonoj.org
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: "Sonoj", a community organized event about Open Source Music Production struggles to get funded. Please help

Post by glowrak guy »

Just a mention that the funding goal appears to have been met. If the show is still on,
I'd recommend a new round of announcements, focussing on named software
to be promoted at the show, for example,

'Sonoj Convention, presenting open-source Guitarix amp-sim, Hydrogen drum-machine,
Yoshimi synthesizer, Calf and Rakarrack mult-effects, Ardour and Qtractor daws,
with linux audio configuration examples'.

This offers a turnkey selection addressing musians software needs, that musicians,
new or experienced, could relate to. The ways open-source code is shared and re-used,
to improve and repair quality software can be integrated in such discussions.
Cheers