Your vision of the future of Linux audio

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

Re: Your vision of the future of Linux audio

Post by protozone »

Just keep going! Linux is strong in 2018 and still going.
The naysayers said stuff couldn't be done and they were wrong.
Like for example, "you can't use PulseAudio for pro audio work in Linux" (WRONG)...
Talk to my hearthis.at page and download my tunes made in Linux with PulseAudio on. :lol:

Everything I like about Linux is still present.

I guess I just hope that there's more collaborating and rescuing of vaporware because some of the vaporware in linux is better than the commercial stuff in Windows.
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

There's even more hope with recent advancements like Pipewire (an evolution of pulseaudio + jack + video mixing) and with more and more vendors pcs and laptops with Linux out of the box (system76, entroware, dell, etc). It's just exiting times to be part of the community and to advance it altogether. :D
Arguy (IRC)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

protozone wrote:vaporware
Are you referring to any specific apps or plugins? When I started doing audio on Linux, I was missing a good hall reverb, but then I decided to fix that. Is there something that you feel is missing for your audio production workflow?
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

@Michael Willis...

I was misusing the term vaporware. There are constantly distros and programs and kernels and whatnot that go in and out of style or activity, but in terms of ingenuity and flexibility they tend to be really impressive and almost always there's somebody somewhere who finds a way to take the old stuff to the next level or at least to bugfix it or to at least document it's pros and cons. Overall, I really enjoy this in addition to the activeware stuff which allows hard work to get done.