Free software & money

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ssj71
Established Member

Re: Free software & money

Post by ssj71 »

FaTony wrote:When there are no free alternatives, it is a moral duty of any knowledgeable person to remove DRM and put unrestricted version on torrent sites.
This is completely different than freedom of computing. This is free stuff. Every back door, malicious binary blob, and data mining in that software will still be there. I'd never run such a thing on my machine. And I don't see how blatant disregard of a license you don't like encourages use of or raises awareness of free licensing. Honestly such talk makes me sick.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

FaTony wrote:...When there are no free alternatives, it is a moral duty of any knowledgeable person to remove DRM and put unrestricted version on torrent sites.
Bullshit. This is not FOSS advocacy, this is recommending criminal behaviour.

From the Posting Guidelines here at LM:
5) Respect Copyright. Be very aware of how works you post (audio, scores whatever) are licensed. It goes without saying that violation of licenses won't be tolerated.
You are advocating license violation.

Btw, I've actually met Richard Stallman and conversed with him about copyright and closed-source issues. He does not support your POV. I recall that he advised not using proprietary software even if there was no open-source equivalent, but he certainly did not recommend cracking and pirating closed-source work. If you expect someone to respect your choice of licensing then perhaps you should respect the choices of others.

dp
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

beck wrote:
FaTony wrote:I would love to write free software for money (...)
Love this contradiction.
If payed for, it ain't free anymore. :mrgreen:
A lot of bullshit is written here in this thread, but this is the most stupid stance over all.
Holy shit man, the Linux Kernel is written mostly by paid developers, now, do you think it isn't free anymore?
And in contradict, do you think it makes a software free, when you didn't have to pay for it? Stupid, I say. :roll:

Currently your best chance to become a paid open source developer is, become a kernel developer, write patches for the linux kernel, wait for a company that becomes aware of you and offer you a payment.
On the road again.