Releasing the "source code" of music

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Releasing the "source code" of music

Post by Lyberta »

42low wrote:And still i'm not going to benefit the greedy people.
You can use copyleft to block them.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

42low wrote:
jonetsu wrote:武術 wushu simply stands for the all the types of Chinese martial arts. 武 : military 術 : art. It also stands for the martial art full contact sport since recent times (1949).
Wushu is indeed.

But i'm talking about Shaolin Wushu.
Budhist Monks
who develloped a special (own) kind of martial art, based on and perfectly fitted within their Chan Buddhist phillosophy which in stead off all other Buddhist schools DO use fysical defence with approval from general overall Buddhisme.

You can keep denying, but i was clear even with the links i gave. It is what it is. So i don't understand why you keep argueing about it as if it isn't?
You still skipped over the mention I made, now three times, of Damo (Boddhidharma) teaching the shaolin monks both physical and spiritual practices after he got out of his cave near the shaolin temple.

I mentioned Damo, you skip over it, then you post a wikipedia link on shaolin kungfu saying basically here, you do not know about that.

The wikipedia link on shaolin kungfu you posted includes:

'Bodhidharma's influence

Some popular stories[10][11] consider Bodhidharma as the founder of Shaolin kung fu."

And you post the link telling me I do not know AFTER I mentioned Damo (Boddhidharma).

Bravo ! I certainly can't do that. Maybe it's because I take the time to read, don't know. :)

And I will not mention that by the way, Boddhidharma, Damo, is the founder of chan buddhism. NO, I will not mention it !
tramp
Established Member

Assumptions and conclusions

Post by tramp »

And while we are on the hijacking of the thread,

A little goldfish swimming in his glass, after a while he think, "Wow, the world must be round".
A whale swimming in the see, after a while he think "Wow, the world must be endless".

Conclusion: The little goldfish in his glass know more about the World then the big whale who swimming free in the see.
Assumption: The little goldfish is of a much higher intelligence.

Or, is Assumptions and conclusions the other way round?
On the road again.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

42low wrote:
jonetsu wrote:I mentioned Damo, you skip over it, then you post a wikipedia link on shaolin kungfu saying basically here, you do not know about that.
I skip that because it is irrelevant I'm familiar with martial arts and Buddhisme myself, and expecially Chan Buddhisme. But i'm no monk myself. Buddhist Shaolin Monks invented and practice martial art. That what this was all about, and that is clear now. That's why i have no reason anymore to feed any discussion that isn't there anymore. And i don't understand your reasons for going on with it.
You skipped my mention of Damo (Boddhidharma) because he :

- Created Chan Buddhism

- Is said to have create shaolin kungfu

And then you posted a wikipedia about shaolin kungfu link telling me "Going to teach you something new."

Again, congratulations !

Let me doubt sincerly that you know and practice anything serious. :)
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Assumptions and conclusions

Post by Lyberta »

tramp wrote:And while we are on the hijacking of the thread,

A little goldfish swimming in his glass, after a while he think, "Wow, the world must be round".
A whale swimming in the see, after a while he think "Wow, the world must be endless".

Conclusion: The little goldfish in his glass know more about the World then the big whale who swimming free in the see.

Great post :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

42low wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
42low wrote:I skip that because it is irrelevant I'm familiar with martial arts and Buddhisme myself, and expecially Chan Buddhisme. But i'm no monk myself. Buddhist Shaolin Monks invented and practice martial art. That what this was all about, and that is clear now. That's why i have no reason anymore to feed any discussion that isn't there anymore. And i don't understand your reasons for going on with it.
You skipped my mention of Damo (Boddhidharma) because he :

- Created Chan Buddhism

- Is said to have create shaolin kungfu

And then you posted a wikipedia about shaolin kungfu link telling me "Going to teach you something new."
That's not how i said it. That's your interpretation of it.
This is what i said.
42low wrote:Chinese martial arts training? Fun. I've had martial arts training too and live the balanced life also.
Although, i like the Chan version the shaolin practice most, and that one i live. :wink:
Your misinterpretation isn't my problem.
You can spin it as much as a mad front-loading dryer can spin when overloaded, it ain't no misinterpretation:
budweiserbud.jpg
budweiserbud.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Now, let's bring in the first lines a popular song...

Really don't mind if you sit this one out
My word's but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT
I may make you feel but I can't make you think

All right, time for me to say I'm outta this thread.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Lyberta wrote:
tramp wrote:And while we are on the hijacking of the thread,

Great post :)
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

Yes, who don't will be this little Goldfish, in his save home, getting feed every day, don't need to share his resources with others and, on top, has a higher intelligence then all others. :lol:
On the road again.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I'm not sure this is going anywhere, perhaps just stop?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

swim little Goldfish, swim.

srry can't resist. :mrgreen:
On the road again.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

What? Buddhism 6000 years old? How can that be if Siddhartha Gautama lived a few thousand years later? :?:
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Yeah but that wasn't Buddhism then. It's like saying Christianity or Islam date back to the 3rd century BC or saying Rock'n'Roll is from bronze age when they probably invented cymbals;)

Yeah we're getting quite off topic here :o

42low wrote:
singforme wrote:What? Buddhism 6000 years old? How can that be if Siddhartha Gautama lived a few thousand years later? :?:
Didn't you know that? It's origin lies between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE in India. So actually over 6000 years.

(i'm only aswering an offtopic question. not me who keeps it offtopic)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tramp wrote:A little goldfish swimming in his glass, after a while he think, "Wow, the world must be round".

The goldfish looks bored and dimwitted.
The big whale is curious and intelligent.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

42low wrote:If so you can read that said those are combinded. [.,...] That's starts too look like consciously trolling. :roll: Or you have problems with the autumn and upcomming short winter days? The lack of cheerful sunlight?
That reaction is not a surprise from someone trapped in a corner.

I maintain my point: you do not take the time to read fully. I mentioned Damo (Bodhidharma) and shaolin monks which should be enough to tell you something, but you skip it as irrelevant and 'show me something' by posting a link to shaolin in which there's mention of ... damo being the founder of chan buddhism and likely the person who started shaolin kung fu. This is not trolling, it is putting the facts straight which you cannot face. But that's all right. Let's leave it there. I certainly do not mind and wouldn't really like to see you going down and down and down again in what seems to be an endless spinning spiral. Mind you, there's probably a bottom. But there's no need to push you towards it.

Fair is fair. I made my documented point. You replied. Each one got his chance to express and that's it. There's obviously no point in going further in what will be paths of Daedalus complexity.

Here, as I sign of peace I offer you my latest sketch, raw, no mix no nothing. Sorry for the slightly untuned guitar !

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam189/s-twk3p
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

No didn't want to offend you 42, I'm sorry that I have! But I want to learn. I'm a secondary school teacher and amongst other things I teach world religions and so far I haven't found the idea of Buddhism being 6000 years old. So that's interesting to me. I'm really not interested in any trolling going on here especially as I find this forum to be a great and very respectful platform!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

singforme wrote:No didn't want to offend you 42, I'm sorry that I have! But I want to learn. I'm a secondary school teacher and amongst other things I teach world religions and so far I haven't found the idea of Buddhism being 6000 years old. So that's interesting to me. I'm really not interested in any trolling going on here especially as I find this forum to be a great and very respectful platform!
Although not a religion per se, daoism is quite interesting. Especially in the West, daoism is represented by the writings of Laozi and Zhuangzi mainly. The rituals that were adopted in China when facing the popularity of buddhism around year 400 or so did not transfer to the west in terms of exposure to daoism. Daoism is more like a living philosophy and it's also the foundation of chinese culture, medecine and acupuncture. Although many books were burned in the past and many daoists killed, the rulers could not get rid of the doctors for pratical reasons and these doctors carried on the daoist knowledge in dire times.

Daoism view of the universe is based on a 'binary' system of yin and yang behind which there is an eternal void, 无极 wuji. These binary forces fragmented down to give the whole world, basically. On yin and yang were created a philosophy, a medecine system, a energy system, and martial arts. For instance if you mention 丘处机 Qiu Chuji to Chinese persons today, as I did a few times, you could get a reponse like: "The kungfu guy ?" It means that the philosophy is lived in every aspect of the life be it the body, the spiritual, healing, social, etc. The impact of the Yi Jing, the book of revelations based on hexagrams which are themselves made of yin and yang had a profound impact on Chinese culture. There's no bible in China through which god speaks to the humans. It is rather a book of changes, a book of transformations.

There was a few hundred years in Chinese history in which there was a god who created man and woman using soil of the Earth. But it vanished away, replaced by the universal conception of daoism. Of which there are two expressions: 道家 daojia and 道教 daojiao. The first is the philosophy, the second which evolved later as said above, is the 'religion' with its rituals, garments and all the like. IMHO, as with many religions, people are better off with philosophy, and living it.

Daoism might lack the impact in organization and 'show' religions have so it's not counted as such and not included in curriculums tossed aside as some form of shamanism. However it has given birth to traditional Chinese medecine, a living philosophy. a wholistic approach to the body, to the universe, and has left its footprints in the culture of one of the largest country in the world.

This was a short overview, unstructured. You might know much of this already. So please consider it as an invitation to discuss daoism if you are interested. The 'Backstage' section of the forum, for unrelated topics, could be a good place to ask anything of interest about daosim and whereas I do not profess myself an expert, I can quickly answer some questions.