Linux Audio and MIDI

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lin
Established Member

Linux Audio and MIDI

Post by Lin »

I'm not sure, whether I am posting this in the right category. I am making another attempt to get Linux Audio work for me, but I am stuck.

I want to use my System (currently a Thinkpad x230) for
1. Audio Recording, Mixing, Mastering, both portable and in my home-studio.
2. Midi Recording and editing, both in real time and step-by-step, including creating/printing sheet music.
3. as a soundbank for my Roland RD700nx in live scenarios.

With regard to 1. I have been rather happy with an Audio Distro, Ardour, Audacity, and a few other applications and effects. But I have repeatedly failed to get going with regard to 2. and 3. because I cannot get the software to do what I want:

- I am looking for good, and preferably big soundbanks - orchestras, drums, synths, anything. I'd be happy to pay for them, but I have not found much information where to get some that are good and work painlessly on Linux (Ardour, MuseScore). I don't like editing sounds with synths and effects. I would hope to simply have a huge number of sounds to choose from and start writing music.
- I am looking for a Score Editing Software, which lets me, again, simply choose a sound or several, and then let me input the notes. MuseScore 2.0 comes close, but I am having an issue with it, that makes working with it impossible (it seems impossible to play polyphonical while editing mode is turned off).
- I have been trying to use a computer as a soundbank fpr live playing sporadically since 1990. At the time the lag was simply impossible. I find it funny that 25 years later I am still having the same issue. Ok, the file sizes have grown proportionally, but when I load even a half-way decent sample/soundfont into Ardour or Musescore, playing it from my stage piano does produce an audible lag. Is there a more dedicated software for this purpose that solves this issue to a sufficient degree? What software would usually be used to use the PC simply as a soundbank for a MIDI instrument? Or would I have to resort to a good-old midi-expander?

I'd be glad for any help, like the right Google-search-terms..
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Linux Audio and MIDI

Post by English Guy »

The first thing I would try to eliminate the lag (a.k.a. latency) is look at your jack settings.

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

Of the options given I use qjackctl. Epecially try and get the frames/period setting as low as you can with the system still staying stable and not producing xruns.

If it is any encouragement, I do not have expensive gear and I am able to get my system usable, so this is do-able.
Lin
Established Member

Post by Lin »

Thanks, this helped with the lag.

As for the rest, I am making progress, slowly. So maybe I'll get there one day. At the moment I am waiting for the next version of Musescore, which will have polyphonics fixed.. and next is getting vst instruments to run on wine..
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Glad it helped. Once you get your head round what you need you will be able to concentrate on the music :)