Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Post by glowrak guy »

In answer to the original question, linux allows me to modify and control
an environment that is efficient, and beautiful. Windows seems clunky,
less attractive, and is full of irritating workflows that perhaps could
be configured away, but even if I had the time, why would I bother?
With so few things to use win7 for, it's a quick chore, whereas working in
linux is an enduring pleasure, and every year, there are fewer chores,
and more pleasures. mi dos centavos...
Cheers
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It's straightforward easy in Linux, once you have the knowledge of the topic, to configure a system and to actually write down that config if a note file and in config files in plain text easy to read and maintain. In Windows, there can be a lot of menu navigation going on which is certainly not as comfortable to note down. And is also much more vulnerable to OS updates.

Cheers.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

jonetsu wrote:
And is also much more vulnerable to OS updates.
Cheers.
Those may have been updates in years past,
but now they seem more like ransom-ware attacks.
You didn't ask for it, you didn't want it, you didn't know it
'til it hit you, but
:twisted: you sure got it babeeeyyyyy, now awllllll ur data are belong to us! :twisted:
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

The development of proprietary software has a tendency to introduce proprietary standards that are optimal to the proprietary product, and will lock you into the commercial ecosystem of the company behind the product.
I find that FOSS software developers do quite the opposite, collaborating on open standards and interoperabilitets of software, and in general complement each others products rather that shutting them out. Furthermore FOSS developers are much better at developing bridges to proprietary software and standards that proprietary software developers are at doing the opposite. Furthermore, with FOSS there is a very direct connection between user, bug and bug fix. With proprietary software the connection is obscure, and probably involver a costly upgrade with no explanation og the bug fix.
To me that means that FOSS makes 2+2=5 while proprietary software makes 2+2+$=4, and in my opinion it makes me feel a lot safer to use software where I may even have a direct line to the developers.

Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Those are principles that in many cases do not apply in reality. Steinberg VST is certainly not promoting only Steinberg's interests for instance.

FOSS software developers can argue a lot at times and even take opposite directions, each with their own vision. So it's not that much different. There's collaboration, and divergence but then, companies are doing the same.

There's a good amount of direct communication between users and companies. Go and talk to Rob Papen, Vojtech Melda Meluzin, Urs Heckmann, Markus Krause, etc... OTOH, an exchange with FOSS developers can sometimes be directed to "go read the code !". Or giving so cryptic answer to a user problem. FOSS developers communicate well between themselves. With simple customers, or musicians, sometimes not so much.

I feel 100% safe in using Melda, Voxengo, u-he plugins and others. I do not feel cheated at all.

This said, the principles are right. But it should not become like priests preaching in rather empty churches. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Human nature, and one's character traits, transcend ones choice of tools.
If one is prone to seek excellence, be helpfull, and willing to prioritize and sacrifice,
the chances for success are very good indeed, and whatever tools are at hand,
will be put to good use.

And 'success' is best defined by oneself, rather than onlookers.
When the day ends, and you know you've done your best,
the next day of work is eagerly awaited!
Cheers
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

I think there's enough said already on topic, but I still wanna share my point of view.
TheSafePlaces wrote:1. Why use Linux and FOSS?
Freedom.

Because I can get it for free or for any price that satisfies me. Because I can tweak everything about how my OS/software behaves, how my desktop does look and interact with me, what software and services I have and what are banned on my machine. Because it's really secure once you set up a firewall and proper file permissions. Because it's easier to communicate with FLOSS software developers than with commercial ones. They respond faster, they are glad to know you supported the project with a small donation, they can add functionality you need on a paid basis (that's actually how any big FLOSS business works) instead of leaving you with “maybe we'll implement this in our future release in 2035, thanks for interest in our product”. And, which is kinda funny, FLOSS software is often better documented.
TheSafePlaces wrote:2. And, separately, why use the same for pro-audio?
Again, freedom, overall cost, and great tools also.

Because there are FLOSS Ardour and Cadence that turn my workflow into simply opening a DAW and recording. Because Linux kernels can be realtime- or lowlatency-patched, which gives a better environment to work with audio. Because non-free Harrison plugins are more affordable than most of Windows/Mac plugins, while they are of very high quality: no crashes, no glitches, no CPU overconsumption.
TheSafePlaces wrote:And lastly, 3. (similar to, but subtly different from, the second one) - What are the benefits enjoyed by pro-audio users of Linux over Mac and Windows platforms?
Flexibility and stability, ease of setting things up.

While it's usually very tricky to set up a Windows DAW to work reliably and without dropouts (not the case with Mac, it's also very nice in that regard), Linux setup requires just a little bit of JACK and Pulseaudio configuration, kernel replacement (if needed), and that's all. Really. Open a session in a DAW, plug in your instrument, and make some noise. No need to deal with ASIO driver setup, no need to struggle with those stupid soundcard control panels. Linux package management is breeze: once you install all your software of choice (and this can be done in one console command or via selecting a couple of corresponding metapackages), everything updates fast and from one single point, no need to fight with autoupdaters and other CPU/RAM hungry garbage you deal with on Windows. No need to wait until Windows finished its enforced (and very time consuming!) update which you didn't even ask for. Also, no iLok or other invasive and restrictive stuff you are forced to use if you want to work with the best software solutions. There are ready, all-loaded multimedia distributions like AVLinux and KXStudio, which don't even require fiddling with external software sources. Just install that, set up JACK for desired latency, and get straight to producing your hits. No need to spend a day or two just to download, install and configure all the stuff you need. You'll be up and running in a couple of hours, if not even faster. Once it is set up, it works until your DAW computer dies or gets replaced. Hardware upgrades are easy also: you won't lose your license activation if you buy a new CPU or replace a motherboard because the previous one suffered from, say, a thunderstorm.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.