Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Post by TheSafePlaces »

Potentially controversial title probably got you here. Yay for marketing ;)

But, this isn't a flame message, but rather an opinion-gathering one. For purposes of the wiki (as well as my own day-to-day subtle grassroots-level FOSS advocacy), I would like to know from you all -
1. Why use Linux and FOSS?
2. And, separately, why use the same for pro-audio?
And lastly, 3. (similar to, but subtly different from, the second one) - What are the benefits enjoyed by pro-audio users of Linux over Mac and Windows platforms?

Please answer in AS short points as possible. You may give a long version afterwards, but please provide super-short versions in the beginning.

And please don't point me to the Wiki. The revelant page there sounds overly optimistic - but probably because I haven't actually used Windows for pro-audio, and have never used a Mac at all. =|

So, even if it means repeating what you all think is obvious, please put down your opinions :)
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.
male
Established Member

Re: Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Post by male »

#1. Is a bit too general of a question... Why use a car with the hood welded shut that guzzles gas and can be repossessed at any moment? I use free-software because it's the only option worth my time. I can open the hood and change whatever I like, whenever I like, limited only by practicality and available time. With proprietary software--you get what you're given and you're only renting at that.

#2. Is easy to answer by way of deduction. I want to produce music. I don''t have the funds or desire to invest in an all analog/hardware studio equipment to accomplish the task, therefore it follows that I should use a computer for the task. What kind of software am I going to invest my time in? Refer to my answer to #1.

#3. That would be, first and foremost, the benefit of freedom. Linux Audio users enjoy freedom, performance, and capabilities that are simply unparalleled in Windows and Mac OS. The LA user is able to compose a solution to their problem--a problem unimagined by individual application developers--by connecting different applications through JACK and achieve something that is simply not possible on Windows or Mac OS. A glance through the previous LAC presentations will give you some idea of the power and flexibility of this principle. Linux Audio is a place where people can flourish and express their creativity with free and excellent tools even though their interests may not fix neatly into the lowest common denominator catered to by other platforms. Furthermore, the distinct lack of bullshit and marketing in most free-software means that users are less frequently mislead and are encouraged to develop a deeper understanding of the principles of digital audio--knowledge that they can use to perform their creative tasks more efficiently and with a higher level of mastery over the outcome.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

#1. Well as an operating system Linux is more stable and easier to use than windows now IMO. And well it's like male said too. So its better in more than one way. Not to mention that there are many more options most of which are easier to even try than windows. It's like having 10+ OS environments that you can try at any time without any hassle and pick the one you like.

#2. Following from above you can do the same with Audio distros now too. All the contemporary digital audio tools are available now in some form. I have found I can do everything that I need to with linux audio.

#3. By definition there are more possibilities with FOSS. Even if the tools on the others are more developed currently. There can be a Van Halen of linux/FOSS audio so to speak(you can modify it like he did his guitars). That isn't allowed with proprietary stuff.
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

TheSafePlaces wrote: 1. Why use Linux and FOSS?
2. Why use the same for pro-audio?
I got fed up with Mac OS being difficult to customize and to difficult know intimately and being tied to expensive parts and firmware and proprietary formats. I got fed up with Windows OS being repeatedly instable and tied to a corporation which seems to ignore the needs and wants of the pro-audio market. Also, I resent Windows not being as easily customizeable as Linux.

It's not so much that Pro Audio needs Linux, it's that Linux doesn't need the problems of Mac OS and Windows.
3. What are the benefits enjoyed by pro-audio users of Linux over Mac and Windows platforms?
So many many choices of software parts and still being able to run Windows VST(i)'s and many Windows programs (with some effort, but getting easier). WINE keeps steadily improving.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

• 1. Freedom
    2. Freedom
    3. Freedom
Music == Freedom 4 /me
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Adding to what other said,
1) Flexibility, maintainability, great community
2) Performances even on cheap/old hardware, almost everything that can be done on Mac/Windows can be done with Linux too, generally for a much cheaper cost.
3) High modularity, IoT friendly, access to state of the art DSP projects in their native environment.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

My answer is truly simple, I believe:

1) Because I like Linux.
2) Because I like music and audio.

That's it.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Performance (speed, stability, light-weight), open-source and free (of harmful licensing). And I like the variety of flavors, too! :)

Hth,
brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Why not? :)

It's a nice OS to run, and if I can do my audio work on it, all the better!
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
loxstep
Established Member

Post by loxstep »

I don't like to depend on proprietary software and closed formats. You have little recourse when the owner of the software decides to end support, or introduce something user hostile. All the work you do is tied up in that tool or format, and you're at the mercy of whoever made it (This happened to me once, and I lost some music projects). FLOSS respects the user's freedom. It's not perfect, and it's not for everyone. But the small sacrifice I make in convenience is completely worth it to me.

Linux is also more fun. I like the community, the customization, and trying out new programs. It feels more like the early days of PCs, when half the fun of computers was seeing what you could do with them.

I use Linux for audio mostly because I use Linux for everything else. I'm sure I could get as much work done on another OS. When it comes to audio, I think Linux is a mature platform. For some applications (video editing, games), Linux lacks quality software. But Ardour is as good as any DAW on Windows or Mac.
In commercial society you MUST have the possibility to (digitally!) communicate with your customers, suppliers and colleges. For this you need and MUST HAVE the "accepted" software. Otherwise you will not be counted in an remain an outcast (not earning your money).
This is important to point out. I have seen brochures from some pro studios that mention the specific DAWs they run. Saying you run Reason or Cakewalk lends credibility to your studio. At the very least, it says "We can afford to buy this expensive stuff"

Fortunately, I record most of my things at home now.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TheSafePlaces wrote: 1. Why use Linux and FOSS?
2. And, separately, why use the same for pro-audio?
And lastly, 3. (similar to, but subtly different from, the second one) - What are the benefits enjoyed by pro-audio users of Linux over Mac and Windows platforms?
Did not read any other answers before answering, to make sure not getting influenced by anybody else.

- cheaper, do not have to pay for OS
- better support, internet searches, mailing lists and forums give better and faster answers than commercial providers
- with open source, much better possibility to find cause of the problems
- possibility to fix problems (I have done so few times, but for bigger audience, not an option)
- much more configuration options to fit personal taste and workflow
- better selection of free of charge-software (in widows world, most softwares cost something)
- better security
- better support for old hardware, upgrading operating system does not require getting new hw
- software typically is awailable longer period, so if you like some software, it will be available even after few OS versions

2. Basicly, all the same as earlier
- Jack provides great possibilities

3. Great selection of music software and plugins installable easy way. No need to search around, operating system own packaging provides most things you need to get started:
tavasti@hermo:~$ apt-cache search lv2 | grep plugin | wc
101 750 5294
tavasti@hermo:~$ apt-cache search ladspa | grep plugin | wc
59 433 3074

Ok, for last point, I don't know if they can be considered pro, are commercial softwares / plugins that much better?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote: It CAN'T be good as you didn't use the good (accepted) software.
Well, to be honest, it often isn't as good. There is a lot of good music made from free software but the majority of the time you can tell.

Whether that's down to the tools, or the creator's skills, or a mix of both, I don't know.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote: What's common rule .... "I'm the best! As i have the most expencive studio" .... and everyone there addore's that .... Yeah right :roll:
I haven't seen that very much on producer boards but there are always people with a bit too much self belief.
42low wrote: So you can rule out "tools" in your last centence. It's in the skills.
A good producer can make something nice with the most simple setup, were a shitty one can make nothing not even with the best setup.
I don't think free (open source) software is anywhere near the quality and complexity, not to mention ease of workflow, that paid stuff has. Of course, this is a generalisation though.

However, if there is a difference between the average music made with free software vs non-free, and we agree that it is mostly the skill of the producer which is the determining factor, does that mean that free software naturally attracts people with a lower skill set?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

42low wrote: Hope i reach my goal once. A viral HITSONG.
THEN i will tell .... no, yell "made with linux" :mrgreen:
Then they'll respond "It went viral because it sounds so cheesy!" :mrgreen:

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

42low wrote: Who's the fool then? :twisted: pfff those wannabee 'sound-engeneers' always shouting about "needing the best and most expensive gear/mic/software, or it will not sound"
Yeah. Whenever someone claims that you need "professional" hard- and software (without considering what's needed in that special case) then you can be sure that he's not a professional at all but a "buy much, produce nothing"-type.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/