Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

sysrqer
Establlshed Member

Re: Why Linux? And why Linux for pro-audio?

Postby sysrqer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 am

42low wrote:What's common rule .... "I'm the best! As i have the most expencive studio" .... and everyone there addore's that .... Yeah right :roll:

I haven't seen that very much on producer boards but there are always people with a bit too much self belief.

42low wrote:So you can rule out "tools" in your last centence. It's in the skills.
A good producer can make something nice with the most simple setup, were a shitty one can make nothing not even with the best setup.

I don't think free (open source) software is anywhere near the quality and complexity, not to mention ease of workflow, that paid stuff has. Of course, this is a generalisation though.

However, if there is a difference between the average music made with free software vs non-free, and we agree that it is mostly the skill of the producer which is the determining factor, does that mean that free software naturally attracts people with a lower skill set?

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 am

Don't know what you mean with producer boards.
I'm talking about regular musicians/homerecording forums, on which lots of people are active who have "professional" studio's, even commercial active.
And man, did i hear a lot off rubbish. Bad productions, to much high-pass, to less low-pass, to much mids, unbalanced instruments and track, totally out off tune and/or rhythm. Not that i'm that good, but at least i can say my music isn't that bad at all (is compared and confirmed by others).

Exactly like on this forum great songs made with linux pass by. Great as well as song as production.
And i know that some professional producers use linux too, next to and combined with other setups.

I've tested it :twisted:
Posted on several non-linux forums a while ago.
Without notification "made with linux/ardour". Reactions like "super production!!"
With notification "made with linux/ardour". Reactions like "sounds bad, you can hear it's not made with...."

I don't tell. :twisted: Said this before here. There was a topic about this here once "to tell or not to tell". No one outside here knows.
And i never ever get reaction that they hear it or whatever. Never "i hear it's made with linux/opensource". Not even a slight doubt or question out off doubt. Only get those condemnatory reactions (immidiatly!!) if i tell myself ........ isn't that strange? :wink: And childish? :roll:
The reason that i never tell.

Hope i reach my goal once. A viral HITSONG.
THEN i will tell .... no, yell "made with linux" :mrgreen:

So i hope this topic is about promotion for linux (music) software. Linux (music) software still can need a lot of positive promotion (my experience).

bluebell
Establlshed Member

Postby bluebell » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 pm

42low wrote:Hope i reach my goal once. A viral HITSONG.
THEN i will tell .... no, yell "made with linux" :mrgreen:

Then they'll respond "It went viral because it sounds so cheesy!" :mrgreen:

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Then they will make themselfs look like a fool.

Some already did BTW. I once posted a smartphone recording from my guitar amp as "a quick amp recording made with cubase" (popular then).
Ow man, i got compliments about the good quality! :mrgreen:
Who's the fool then? :twisted: pfff those wannabee 'sound-engeneers' always shouting about "needing the best and most expensive gear/mic/software, or it will not sound".

For your information. I only do this kind of fun on forums with members i both can't take serious, making them look like a fool. They get the same (dis)respect as they give.
To be clear. This forum is not one of those.

bluebell
Establlshed Member

Postby bluebell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:57 am

42low wrote:Who's the fool then? :twisted: pfff those wannabee 'sound-engeneers' always shouting about "needing the best and most expensive gear/mic/software, or it will not sound"

Yeah. Whenever someone claims that you need "professional" hard- and software (without considering what's needed in that special case) then you can be sure that he's not a professional at all but a "buy much, produce nothing"-type.

tavasti
Establlshed Member

Postby tavasti » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

bluebell wrote:
42low wrote:Who's the fool then? :twisted: pfff those wannabee 'sound-engeneers' always shouting about "needing the best and most expensive gear/mic/software, or it will not sound"

Yeah. Whenever someone claims that you need "professional" hard- and software (without considering what's needed in that special case) then you can be sure that he's not a professional at all but a "buy much, produce nothing"-type.

I Agree. Here is Recordingrevolution video about minimal studio, and if you are working with plain electronic music (no recorded audio), list is even shorter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXSqan3Jcs

Sure he is not talking about linux, but same thing.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am

Yeah. You see this everywhere in life. I call then 'knobs and lights' lovers, were i go for quality that i want to get out of the gear. No matter what brand or type, and i hope with as less as possible knobs so it does it's job quick and easy. To much 'knobs and lights' only blind you (exactly what their goal is).

What the most fun is in those cases....
If you produce something REALLY nice which REALLY is of high quality .... then you get no reaction at all. Jealousy and envy i guess. :mrgreen:
So the best compliment you can ever get is no reaction at all. :wink: (ok ok, nice complementing reactions still are the best, but i think that's a utopia)

Jack Winter
Establlshed Member

Postby Jack Winter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

To contrast somewhat to the above..

We have just recorded our first CD, which started off a process of buying gear :)

I would not claim that you need anything except the basics to record good music, on the other hand as we have progressed I am sold at having a choice of different mics for different purposes, be they cheap or expensive.. I am also sold on the idea of using discrete character pres, IMO the sound we are recording has improved...

It has improved as our understanding and experience of micing techniques has improved, but it has also improved by having access to more mics, and has most certainly also improved with our character pres. It is very likely that this will continue and that we'll be adding more hardware EQ and comps...
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

tavasti
Establlshed Member

Postby tavasti » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

42low wrote:If you produce something REALLY nice which REALLY is of high quality .... then you get no reaction at all. Jealousy and envy i guess. :mrgreen:
So the best compliment you can ever get is no reaction at all. :wink: (ok ok, nice complementing reactions still are the best, but i think that's a utopia)

On the other hand, on forums with nice people around, presenting something horrible produces same thing, nobody saying anything. So it depends where you are.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm

tavasti wrote:On the other hand, on forums with nice people around, presenting something horrible produces same thing, nobody saying anything. So it depends where you are.

I totally agree. The reason why i always try to react in full honest on this forum.
Not to burn down someone, but for real feedback. (keep that in mind please!!!!) I give feedback in the way i would like to receive it myself.
And that can be complimenting or attending at points which IMO could be better (perhaps IOO not, but what to do with the feedback is up to the one receiving the feedback).

But on a forum were it's normal to burn down someone i don't react that honest as mentioned above as i don't want to be looked at as someone burning someone down (what they will think then).

I LOVE THIS FORUM AND ALL IT'S MEMBERS!! The most nice music forum i know of which the rest could learn.

khz
Establlshed Member

Postby khz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Code: Select all

freedom@peace #
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

loxstep
Establlshed Member

Postby loxstep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:41 pm

sysrqer wrote:
42low wrote:It CAN'T be good as you didn't use the good (accepted) software.

Well, to be honest, it often isn't as good. There is a lot of good music made from free software but the majority of the time you can tell.

Whether that's down to the tools, or the creator's skills, or a mix of both, I don't know.

Considering that some of the best recordings in history were made using inferior technology, compared to today, I'd say it comes down to skills.

What can windows / mac audio offer than linux can't? I've been able to find a linux alternative to everything I was using on windows, and I didn't have to sacrifice features or sound quality.

The main drawback to using linux stuff is that everyone is already familiar with the major commercial packages. Switching to linux means getting used to a new interface, and perhaps changing your workflow a bit. I understand why a professional would be hesitant to do this.

Then consider, there is often no paid support. You rely on the community and your own know how to make linux audio work. This was a bigger problem back in the day - it's way easier to plug and play linux stuff today. But it's a valid concern for a studio, where time is money.

If you can overcome those two drawbacks, then linux is a viable option for pro audio. The capabilities of linux audio software match those you'll find in mac and windows.

protozone
Establlshed Member

Postby protozone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Nice answers in this thread! Very cheerful :D

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 pm

loxstep wrote:Considering that some of the best recordings in history were made using inferior technology, compared to today, I'd say it comes down to skills.

Yeah!! What i always say!

And then listen critical to for instance the vocal skills of some vocalists in hitsongs. Like their always that highly skilled. :roll:
If you critical listen to many greatest hits and analyse them you'll discover that a lot off them have a real simple composition.
In some recordings of famous hit songs you even hear noise and other distortions. But they still became great hits.

I really think a hit is made by a pleasant simple sound, in catchy tune with grabbing instrumental sounds with a pleasant and fun voice over it.
That's it's NOT in highly schooled musician and top vocalist with extraordinary musical compositions and "the best" gear.

To be honest. I once heard a highly schooled band play. Each note was "exactly right" and all they played sounded exactly like the records sound .... but it didn't sound at all because it had no "feel" in it and didn't live. There was no "catch" in it. It didn't "grab" you. Flat. Dead.

tavasti
Establlshed Member

Postby tavasti » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm

loxstep wrote:Considering that some of the best recordings in history were made using inferior technology, compared to today, I'd say it comes down to skills.

None of those 'best recordings' would be any hit today, but they would be considered 'some garage recording'. Personally, I don't listen any pre-80's because sounds are so muddy.

Return to “Music & FOSS Advocacy”