jack1 vs jack2 discussion

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GhostofJohnToad
Established Member

jack1 vs jack2 discussion

Post by GhostofJohnToad »

So I am investigating all things linux audio recently, really trying to understand the why and how of certain things. Currently I am trying to understand why I would need Jack1 vs Jack2. It looks as though SMP is the biggest difference for my use. To that end I am trying to understand the following quote...
SMP support is not always as valuable as you would think. If your applications are chained INPUT --> A --> B --> C --> OUTPUT, then it will not be able to utilize multiple processors. However, if you applications are independently generating audio to the OUTPUT, that is when "parallel" sub-graph exist in the global graph, then they can be.
It's from this link...http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/Q_differenc_jack1_jack2

What would be an example of this? Does this mean if I am say running Ardour, Hydrogen, and Qsynth all at the same time with their signals being fed to multiple outputs SMP would come into play and this would be parallel? Thus necessitating Jack2 over Jack1?
SR
Established Member

Re: jack1 vs jack2 discussion

Post by SR »

I'm wondering the same thing. This would probably be a good question for LAU mailing list.
karm
Established Member

Re: jack1 vs jack2 discussion

Post by karm »

GhostofJohnToad wrote:So I am investigating all things linux audio recently, really trying to understand the why and how of certain things. Currently I am trying to understand why I would need Jack1 vs Jack2. It looks as though SMP is the biggest difference for my use. To that end I am trying to understand the following quote...
SMP support is not always as valuable as you would think. If your applications are chained INPUT --> A --> B --> C --> OUTPUT, then it will not be able to utilize multiple processors. However, if you applications are independently generating audio to the OUTPUT, that is when "parallel" sub-graph exist in the global graph, then they can be.
It's from this link...http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/Q_differenc_jack1_jack2

What would be an example of this? Does this mean if I am say running Ardour, Hydrogen, and Qsynth all at the same time with their signals being fed to multiple outputs SMP would come into play and this would be parallel? Thus necessitating Jack2 over Jack1?
this is my first post here so hello everybody :) On topic: I think this INPUT-OUTPUT diagram means that you wouldn't benefit from SMP if your application process only one audio stream at the same time. For example you can use ardour to process many tracks and each of them can be processed by another core. At least I think it is working this way. How do you think?
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.