How to connect jack and jackrack and other?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pkslot
Established Member

How to connect jack and jackrack and other?

Post by pkslot »

Hi, sorry to bug you again :oops:

I've managed to get jack up and running in ubuntu 10.04 now, but i just can't quite figure out how i get it connected with other software, like jackrack. Do i have to be recording, to hear the soundeffects that jackrack provide?

I'm not sure what data to provide, to give enough info for help, but i have taken a screenshot of the software settings i have at the moment (i hope you can read what it says). If anyone can point me in the right direction, i would be very greatfull.
Attachments
jack.jpg
jack.jpg (218.2 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
autostatic
Established Member

Re: How to connect jack and jackrack and other?

Post by autostatic »

Hello pkslot, looks good! In your screenshot your system capture ports are connected to JACK Rack at the moment so only the signal coming in from your capture ports (probably your onboard mic/line inputs) are routed through JACK Rack. If you now start up another JACK aware program you can connect its output ports to JACK Rack, check the screenshot I've attached.

Best,

Jeremy
JACK-Rack-connections.jpg
JACK-Rack-connections.jpg (237.66 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
pkslot
Established Member

Post by pkslot »

Done, but it doesn't alter the sound. Is there some options that i have forgotten?

Screenshot:
Attachments
jack01.jpg
jack01.jpg (242 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I can't really see if the effect is enabled or not in JACK Rack. I assume you enabled it. The Crossover Distortion is not a really hefty effect so maybe try another one?
pkslot
Established Member

Post by pkslot »

Ok i'll give it a go, with a nother effect. Yes, i did enable it, but you're right about it. It's not that easy to see, if it's enabled or not.

Btw, i use a sb live, not onboard. Does the connections have anything to say? Ie, if i have the connection settings wrong. Or does jack give me xruns and other error messages, if i've got it wrong?
pkslot
Established Member

Post by pkslot »

Great, i've got it working now. It was just a minor adjustment in jack and jackrack that had me on. I've tried it out with couple of other programs like rakerrack and sooperlooper, and it works like a charm. Only thing is, that it's a but noisy. There's a lot of background noise. Well, i hope it doesn't transfer to any recording.

Thank you so very much for your help Autostatic :D
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Btw, i use a sb live, not onboard. Does the connections have anything to say? Ie, if i have the connection settings wrong. Or does jack give me xruns and other error messages, if i've got it wrong?
Hi,

You could have internal mixing and the sound goes directly from the inputs to the outputs so you won't notice any software effect. Jack will separate the channels but if there is internal mixing, jack simply won't know. If this is the case, try to solve it with alsamixer. It can be tricky though.

PD: I hadn't seen your last response. Take a look at alsamixer anyway. You probably need to adjust levels.

Cheers! Pablo
pkslot
Established Member

Post by pkslot »

Pablo wrote: Hi,

You could have internal mixing and the sound goes directly from the inputs to the outputs so you won't notice any software effect. Jack will separate the channels but if there is internal mixing, jack simply won't know. If this is the case, try to solve it with alsamixer. It can be tricky though.

PD: I hadn't seen your last response. Take a look at alsamixer anyway. You probably need to adjust levels.

Cheers! Pablo
Hi Pablo, and thank you for the answer.

The alsamixer was absolutely the answer. First i found out my output from "capture" somehow overtook my speakers and shut out the jack output, so i couldn't hear it. Then i tried out rakerrack, because i knew there was a in/output meter, so i could see if there were any sound passing through it. When i turned on the fx button it worked. In jackrack it was just a level bar that had to be adjusted.

It's funny, but it always turns out to be something minute, that's in my way.