two maudio 2496 with jack2

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

thomasK
Established Member

two maudio 2496 with jack2

Postby thomasK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,

by accident I have two maudio 2496 and I wonder, is it possible to use them both with Jack2, in a way that I have 4 analog inputs?

thorgal
Established Member

Re: two maudio 2496 with jack2

Postby thorgal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 pm

if we assume that one is set up as hw:0 and the other as hw:1 at boot time, you can do it:

launch jackd on hw:0 as usual (via qjackctl for example) and then, from a terminal, type

alsa_in -j some_name_of_your_choice -d hw:1 -p period_of_your_choice -n number_of_period_of_your_choice -r sample_rate_of_your_choice -q samplerate_quality (from 0 to 4, 4 is best but CPU intensive)

that was for input ports
for output ports, do the same with alsa_out

since you are using the same card type, they must have the same capabilities, so set the second device with the same setting you applied to hw:0

You can of course save these command lines in qjackctl as a jack post-startup command

Capoeira
Established Member

Postby Capoeira » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

could it be easy like this? i thougt thw two cards have to be synced!? perhaps with SPDIF

thorgal
Established Member

Postby thorgal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 pm

yes, you can sync them via an external cable, but then you have to build an asoundrc file in order to simulate a "super" soundcard. If I was fluent in asoundrcese, I would help but this is way to cryptic for any average user.

TraumFlug
Established Member

Postby TraumFlug » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:21 pm

I have no experience on this, but look here: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TwoCardsAsOne for .asoundrc/asound.conf setup.

I think I remember that you've got to set up the "slave" card (the one, that has its s/pdif input connected with the s/pdif output of the other one) as s/pdif in for "master clock"...at least there's an option in the envy24control tool, but I think it can be done with any alsa mixer tool that doesn't hide any controls/options...

please post here your success (if any), I'm interested somewhat.

thomasK
Established Member

Postby thomasK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 am

I tried both options with a rt-kernel and a generic kernel on Ubuntu 9.10 and 64 studio.
With Alsa_in I had some strange artifacts in the recording, it seems the cards don't run in sync..
Because the maudio have the ICE 1712 chip I tried this:

http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

It works just with the generic and the old 64studio (2.6.21 multimedia) kernel, but it runs really good. Ardour shows a lot of x runs, but there are no clicks or any other artifacts in the recording.

Many thanks for the replies and help.

Greetings

Thomas

Return to “System Tuning and Configuration”