Crackles, fuzz and pops with Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 with Behringer C-1 Micro

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

xadaux
Established Member

Crackles, fuzz and pops with Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 with Behringer C-1 Micro

Post by xadaux »

Hello,

Got recently a Behringer C-1 condenser micro plugged to a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 running on Ubuntu 20 over Jack Audio.

Supply phantom feed is provided thru 48V button, to get the microphone working but it sounds an intense crackling, fuzz and pops, both with gain at half at gain at max value. It makes practically the microphone unusable.

Just read too many threads about this issue with the Scarlett 2i2 models but no find any clear solution to solve this problem as far I test many solutions, also contacted FocusRite support but didn't give support for Linux.

Does anyone experienced some similar issue and get a solution?

Thank you!
Attachments
Cracks_pops_fuzz_2i2.ogg
(184.31 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
RyanH
Established Member

Re: Crackles, fuzz and pops with Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 with Behringer C-1 Micro

Post by RyanH »

I don't have this interface but noticed no one else has replied so thought I'd throw in...

I found this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzeCacFJbQ

Not sure if it's the same issue as you're having (sorry, didn't click your link to have a listen) but you can check it out.

Also I noticed some of the Focusrite devices come with an "air" function. Maybe that's contributing to your problem?
xadaux
Established Member

Re: Crackles, fuzz and pops with Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 with Behringer C-1 Micro

Post by xadaux »

Hello RyanH!,

The problem explained in the link you provided it's quite similar to mine, in fact, all the "floor noise" he experiments is the same annoying thing I'm experiencing. Maybe the solution is to purchase an "Air Defender" USB device to clear all the unnecessary hum.

I just checked my 2i2, which is the 2nd gen, and did'nt see the "Air" button or switch, but I have a "line" switch position instead. Must say that switching between "Line | Inst" didn't change nothing in my case.

Thanks a lot for this resource, will take it into account as long I research more solutions.

Greetings!
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

The line/instrument switch should only change the 1/4" connector in the jack to provide a high impedance input for direct instrument (electric guitar).

To me your noise issues sound different. Yours sounds more like a corroded connection. Like the noise from a dirty pot or fader. Swapping out cables, trying on a different computer would be the first steps.
xadaux
Established Member

Post by xadaux »

Thanks for the reply and the explanations bluzee.

Since I tried a long time used XLR cable I bought a new one with good quality connectors, so for this side I discard the cables. I'm bit lined up with trying in another devices like other computer even an Apple tablet with official FocusRite drivers just to discard problems and seeking a solution.

I love JackAudio architecture and think all the plugin collections we have and many applications as a kind of treasure to thinking to switch to propietary apps and hardware.

Never had problems when plug into the card a MicroKorg so (with jack connectors), this is a new discovered issue since I get the condenser microphone.