Jack and New Soundcard / Mixer

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bschultzradio
Established Member

Jack and New Soundcard / Mixer

Post by bschultzradio »

I just got a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer. It's a 12 in / 14 out mixer, class compliant USB multitrack device. Pretty nice unit. Outputs 13 and 14 are the master out. In my current setup, I route PulseAudio to Jack. I have one piece of software that only supports Pulse.

Here is my "after startup" command for QJackCTL...

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
This creates the Jack Sync for Pulse software. Problem is, it (or something else) binds capture_1 to front-left, and capture_2 to front-right.

I now need to bind capture_13 to front-left...and capture_14 to front-right. I can do this in QJackCTL or in Patchage. Problem is, when I try to disconnect capture_1 to front-left in either QJackCTL or in Patchage, it reconnects in less than a second.

Same result when I run this: jack_disconnect PulseAudio JACK Source:front-left system:capture_1...it reconnects in less than a second.

How can I make this change permanent?

Thanks!
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Jack and New Soundcard / Mixer

Post by sunrat »

Try something like:

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jack-sink connect=no & pactl load-module module-jack-source connect=no
and set connections in Qjackctl patchbay.
I think channels=2 is default so doesn't need to be specified (not 100% certain about that).
bschultzradio
Established Member

Post by bschultzradio »

It still bound capture_1 to front-left and capture_2 to front-right.
Last edited by bschultzradio on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bschultzradio
Established Member

Post by bschultzradio »

I got it working. I ditched QJackCTL, and used Ubuntu Studio Controls. This let me pick the inputs and outputs to use for the Pulseaudio sink and source, instead of using in/out 1&2.

Thanks!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

bschultzradio wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 am I got it working. I ditched QJackCTL, and used Ubuntu Studio Controls. This let me pick the inputs and outputs to use for the Pulseaudio sink and source, instead of using in/out 1&2.
There's bound to be a way to do it in Qjackctl. You just didn't manage to discover it. :D
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

sunrat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 am
bschultzradio wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 am I got it working. I ditched QJackCTL, and used Ubuntu Studio Controls. This let me pick the inputs and outputs to use for the Pulseaudio sink and source, instead of using in/out 1&2.
There's bound to be a way to do it in Qjackctl. You just didn't manage to discover it. :D
As far as I know, by default Qjackctl doesn't automatically make any connections, but does honour any requests (not all Jack interfaces do), so maybe something is specifically asking for those inputs.

Mind you, the first thing I do on any new install is to delete pulseaudio :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

folderol wrote: I delete pulseaudio
But now you're going to have to also make sure that pirewire's PulseAudio emulation isn't running.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

bschultzradio
Established Member

Post by bschultzradio »

I use one piece of software that needs Pulse...unless someone can tell me how to use Jack for the program Seren?!?!?!

http://holdenc.altervista.org/seren/

I've tried using "jack" in the command line option, and it fails. I've also tried using card names (hw:0,0) without any luck, as it doesn't allow Jack to start for that device. Just putting pulse in the command line works every time.

A side question. One benefit to using QJackCTL was being able to save the patchbay (profile) by the card. Meaning, if I used a different sound device, all I had to do was pick that profile, and all was good.

I can't seem to find that functionality in the Ubuntu Controls software. Does it exist? If so, where? If not, how does someone handle different devices?

Thanks guys!
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

If you can't find how to jack your app you still have the ability to try to fake the pulse:
https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bschultzradio wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 am How can I make this change permanent?
Thanks!
Doesn't 'activate patchbay persistence' work in qjackctl? It then should enforce all connections defined. You can also set any connection to 'exclusive' at the destination. For example, I've connected jack_mixer output to the audio system playback, and the connection is exclusive, so no other application/port should ever connect to system playback by itself.
Last edited by Impostor on Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bschultzradio wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 am I use one piece of software that needs Pulse...unless someone can tell me how to use Jack for the program Seren?!?!?!
In my own patchbay definition, I have connected PulseAudioJackSink to a dedicated input of jack_mixer, and PulseAudioJackSource to a dedicated output of jack_mixer (monitor). I always start qjackctl with a little script that also starts jack_mixer. Because of patchbay persistence, any connection which is defined in my patchbay will be made whenever both ports become available, so I've been able to create a one-bay-fits-almost-every-situation patchbay with that, and there's no need to switch between patchbays.

PS: I need PulseAudio for Rebirth and CoolEdit, running in Wine.
bschultzradio
Established Member

Post by bschultzradio »

If anyone else wants to use a purely Studio Controls solution, when setting up the Pulse Sync and Bridge, select NO CONNECTION. Then, in Carla, apply the patches you need, and SAVE AS with the name of the card or device.

Then, the next time you use that device, select it in Studio Controls...open Carla...and OPEN the saved patchbay for that device.

Works like a charm.

The reason I don't want to use Qjackctl, the GUI looks like 1980. I'm trying to build a laptop for my wife (not a Linux user) that she can run with ease. Studio Controls does that...Qjackctl doesn't. At least to me.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

You are being a bit harsh about Qjackctl. I don't think GUIs were even invented in 1980 and I quite like its looks and prefer that to StudioControl.
Here I set up PA bridge and an LSP PEQ room correction starting via Startup in its Options tab and save as a Patchbay. Open Qjackctl, press Start and it is ready to make and play music. Then just set the LSP PEQ as output for Mixbus and mix.
I'm no fan of anything *buntu but have tried it and StudioControl doesn't seem to offer anything my current setup can't do.
To each his own though. Do what works for you! :wink:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I can never understand this obsession with looking 'modern'. My only criteria for a GUI is that is clear, and easy to navigate while providing exactly the information you need at any point - with no unnecessary distractions. My experience is that, right across the board, all modern GUIs are far less accessible than older ones.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}