ubuntu studio settings - studio controls question

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

babag
Established Member

ubuntu studio settings - studio controls question

Post by babag »

i've been running ubuntu studio for quite a while, long enough to have forgotten some of the setup process.

i always run my saffire pro40 firewire interface at 48k. i've just had something come up that i need to do at 44.1k. i've also just set up a 22.04 system on a new drive (upgraded via fresh install from 20.04) and have a question about setting the sample rate for the pro40. do i have to manually change the sample rate in the ubuntu studio controls window? does that just follow my software's setup somehow? (btw, i'm running reaper v6.56 on this new setup and the project settings therein are at 44.1k.)

another thing i'm noticing is that, when i change the cpu governor from the default 'powersave' mode to 'performance' mode, that setting does not persist. anyone have a tip to get that to be remembered on system restarts?

thanks,
babag
Largos
Established Member

Re: ubuntu studio settings - studio controls question

Post by Largos »

If you set it to 44.1k, then reaper will automatically adjust (I just tried it, I also have a pro40). Also, I found that, with 48k, I have the periods set to 2 and the buffer to 256 and this doesn't work with 44.1k and l need to change the period to 3. Just in case you have that problem.
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks for the reply largo. i'm a little confused by it, though.

when you say set 'it' to 44.1, are you referring to setting the ubuntu studio controls to 44.1?

when you say you just tried it, how did you check that reaper had followed.

from what i'm gathering, you manually set the pro40 via the ubuntu studio controls and reaper followed that change. is that right?

my settings are similar to yours. in the various ubuntu studio controls tabs i'm seeing settings of:

in reaper, the only indicator i see is in 'project settings,' which is set to 44.1k. the box for this, however, is unchecked. funny thing is that everything seems to play fine with the settings mismatched as described.

what i was hoping for was to pretty much ignore the ubuntu studio controls program and just do everything in reaper. i'm not sure i ever really had this set up right. it's always been at 48k, though. now i seem to have a mismatch between the pro40, as indicated in the ubuntu studio controls window (48000/256/3), and the reaper project settings (44.1k). haven't been able to figure out the exact steps i need to take to bring this all into line.

sounds like i won't be able to avoid toggling between 44.1k/48k on the ubuntu studio controls tabs. is that right?

thanks and sorry for the obtuseness. i find all of these settings very confusing.

babag
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

just found the readout in the upper right corner of reaper's menu bar. seems to display all of the settings in the ubuntu studio control panel (uscp). also seems to follow if i change settings from within the uscp. that would seem to confirm that i have to use the uscp for toggling settings when i switch between projects in reaper when they have different settings. that could get old really fast if one works with a lot of projects open simultaneously i'd imagine.

please correct anything i have wrong here.

thanks,
babag
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

When you change the audio settings of JACK, it needs to be restarted and the programs using it (in your case, Reaper) closed and reconnected to it after. Reaper doesn't have the options to change settings but it'd be no less hassle because you'd just be navigating to audio settings to restart everything rather than USC.
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks largos.
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Just throwing in here...

I have been using Ubuntu Studio for a year or two and didn't know USC existed until just now when I read this post. I just set my sample rate, etc. in QjackCtl and everything seems to work out. I generally use QTractor, though, which follows Jack. I can't remember what the situation was when I used Reaper - I think it remembered any new sample rate once I saved a file that used that rate, but I never really alternated between multiple projects using different settings.

I'm glad I found this post, actually. Maybe setting the Governator in USC to "performance" will give me fewer X-runs!
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

babag wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:00 pm ...another thing i'm noticing is that, when i change the cpu governor from the default 'powersave' mode to 'performance' mode, that setting does not persist. anyone have a tip to get that to be remembered on system restarts?
Studio Controls was working fine, until i added the ubuntustudio-backports.
I needed to manually set the CPU Governor from the terminal, the old-school way.
The Intel Boost setting stopped being persistent across reboots as well. Thankfully, in this case, it was my preferred choice of setting.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect