Behringer BCA2000 anyone?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Eddyness
Established Member

Behringer BCA2000 anyone?

Post by Eddyness »

Hi all..

I have ended up with a Behringer BCA2000, looks like a funky usb soundcard but it was not immediately recognized in UBUNTU Studio 20.04.

$ lsub shows the device as present but nothing else in the system can see a soundcard. I have spent a lot of time trying to find out how to assign this device as my soundcard, but can find nothing out there that has helped..
I had thought there was something on this forum that had helped me before but I cant find it.

I have found a linux driver https://github.com/JohnBardoe/snd-bca2000 but cant make sense of how to install it as am not very good with code stuff. Also found a few folk that have the sister Behringer devices (BCF2000 and BCR2000) which appear to just work in Linux, so thought my BCA2000 would too.

So, does anyone have one of these up and running? If not, anyone have any ideas of how to make my Ubuntu Studio recognize it?

Any ideas will be much appreciated..
Eddyness
Established Member

Re: Behringer BCA2000 anyone?

Post by Eddyness »

While there is still some daylight left, I am going to re-install Ubuntu Studio and see if it gets picked up during the install..
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Given the age of this design, which appears to be around 2004, I'd say there is an excellent chance this is NOT a USB class-compliant unit, which is probably why it wasn't automatically detected. You'll probably have better luck with something designed within the last decade or so.

On Behringer's product page, they describe the USB capabilities this way:
High-speed USB 2.0 interface with 24-bit/96 kHz, supports 8 in + 8 out channels simultaneously (analog and digital) with low-latency ASIO 2 and WDM drivers
...to me, that seems to imply that specialized drivers are required to make it talk to the OS.

Since your said you're not quite proficient with Linux, I wouldn't suggest building John Bardoe's GitHub project.
---scott

LinkedIn
Eddyness
Established Member

Post by Eddyness »

Thank you Scott..

Reinstalling Ubuntu Studio did not get me anywhere, I had just been reading about usb class-compliant devices, lucky me that Behringer release three similar devices and my one is the only one that does not work out of the box.. sigh

So, seems getting this driver in is the only way? I am up for having a go at doing this, we dont learn if we dont try etc.. Will have a read about it later today and then have a go.. Any advice, or point me to where I can get advice..?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Eddyness wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:44 pm I have found a linux driver https://github.com/JohnBardoe/snd-bca2000 but cant make sense of how to install it as am not very good with code stuff.
Hi,

It seems that link won't help you. It's a fork (without any additions) of https://github.com/anyc/snd-bcd2000/tree/master (driver for BCD2000) and the actual driver with audio support is in the audio branch: https://github.com/anyc/snd-bcd2000/tree/audio

I don't know how BCA and BCD differs.
BTW, do you have the snd-bcd2000 module in your kernel?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

It needs drivers in Windows and in the manual there's no mention of MacOS. So indeed chances that this device is class compliant are small.

Good luck in compiling the diver/kernel module, I'm very curious to see if that worked. :)
Eddyness
Established Member

Post by Eddyness »

Think you are right guys, it shows no sign of being class compliant, and there are no signs of the driver in the kernel. Thanks for the info Kott, I have been trying to understand how to put a driver into a kernel, had not realized the one I had is a fork and have now downloaded the original..

Might be a lost cause, but the audio can be monitored straight through and is very nice sounding. I am not one for having the latest shiny thing, am quite happy to keep pecking away at this until I get a result. Was hoping someone would jump in and offer to walk me through the process of installing a Linux driver, but I will keep reading about it a will give it a go when I feel I have a clear path to do it.

My understanding so far is that the driver has to be installed through DKMS so that future updates of the kernal will retain it. Not found a clear tutorial for this yet, every one I looked at has so many if, buts and maybe's I was no wiser after reading it, but I will get there eventually!