How to route system audio to daw ?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

unbalanced
Established Member

How to route system audio to daw ?

Post by unbalanced »

Hi everybody,

I am trying to figure out how to route system audio(all desktop audio; firefox,players, etc) to Reaper track.

I have Komplete Audio 6 USB interface and I am using Reaper with Jack/Cadence, Wineasio and Pipewire on OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

There are two solutions hardware and software and I need your advice.
I bought second hand E-MU 1212e to use its balanced outputs to KA 6 but unfortunately one channel on E-MU is not working.

On the other hand I dont know how and if this problem could be solved internally with software.

How did you solve this problem, what do you use ?

Can you advise me on HW pcie card that works on Linux.
Do Esi Maya44 Ex works on Linux ?
bluzee
Established Member

Re: How to route system audio to daw ?

Post by bluzee »

You should be able to connect it all using pipewire. Search the pipewire threads. There is a link to a graphical connection manager.

Edit: This.... https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/rncbc/qpwgraph

might already be in your package manager to install.

Also, in a strictly pulseaudio environment which pipewire should replicate using pavucontrol on input devices tab you can set Show; monitors at bottom of screen and the click the button for "Set as Fallback" . Should show as tool tip when mouse hovers. What ever you play on pulse should record in software when pulse is selected as input source. Don't know if Reaper supports pulse though.
unbalanced
Established Member

Post by unbalanced »

When I start Jack, KA 6 disappears from qpwgraph because it is Jack dedicated interface, so I am unable to route audio using qpwgraph.
And in the Catia and Claudia I dont see any source accept KA 6.

I cant use strictly pulseaudio/pipewire environment I need Jack for wineasio.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

OK, if wineasio won't work with pipewire-jack then probably what you want to do is shutdown pipewire and go back to a pulseaudio/jack system where you integrate pulseaudio into jack. There are instructions for that on the forum and if you google. With pulse loaded into Jack you can route audio out from pulse applictions using qjackctl, patchage etc. AVL MX21 comes with this all preconfigured.

Hardware method is also available. I allow pulseaudio to run on my motherboard audio and set it to off for my USB audio interface in pavucontrol. I can then start JACK on the USB interface and could patch them together with audio cables. Not balanced like you wanted, but as long as the patch cable is short should be fine.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Do Esi Maya44 Ex works on Linux ?
Greping the kernel source....

Maya 44 was supported as an ICE1712 device. This was a PCI. Unfortunately I don't know if it still works as a PCIe card. Going by this...
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index ... Vendor-ESI
I would guess not.

I have a ICE1712 PCI Delta 66. Excellent card. PCI latency on new mobo is not as good as on my old mobo with real PCI slots though.