Using DAW for real time live performance feasible?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RockMaster
Established Member

Using DAW for real time live performance feasible?

Post by RockMaster »

I'm playing with the idea of using my DAW (Bitwig with JACK) for effects during live performance, but I'm not sure how big of a problem latency would be.

I have a 24 channel mixer on order, Soundcraft Ui24R that would be serving as an audio interface and mixer. My laptop is pretty beefy - Intel 10th gen Xeon, 64 GB RAM 3200Mhz. My system is optimized, passing all the real time performance checks.

I'd be looking at running at least a guitar modeler (Neural DSP, Helix Native) and vocal harmonizer plugin (like Antares Harmony Engine) at the same time, maybe some other stuff. The fact that most of these plugins run with Wine/yabridge complicates things further performance-wise I guess.

Any ideas if this could be manageable or should I just go for a bunch of dedicated hardware floor units instead?
Kott
Established Member

Re: Using DAW for real time live performance feasible?

Post by Kott »

If the bridged plugin crash during performance, then the latency would be the least problem
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

Kott wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:33 pm If the bridged plugin crash during performance, then the latency would be the least problem
Indeed that could be an issue. Although I've been playing my electric guitar with these bridged plugins for quite a while and I don't remember having a crash even once. Of course, in real scenario the load is greater, so a real consideration.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I'd consider a quick crash recovery scenario or a reserve setup for such case :)
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

Kott wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:44 pm I'd consider a quick crash recovery scenario or a reserve setup for such case :)
Well, Bitwig can sandbox each plugin separately, so if it crashes it shouldn't affect the rest, I think. I don't remember the DAW itself crashing though, although I guess in theory it's still possible.
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

With these hw specs you should be fine, so main concern I think can be wine stuff. You need to be prepared, it will crash at the worst time. Set up a simple button in bitwig which restarts plugins and map that to some midi button or prepare some other strategies for handling that
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

eikakot wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:34 pm With these hw specs you should be fine, so main concern I think can be wine stuff. You need to be prepared, it will crash at the worst time. Set up a simple button in bitwig which restarts plugins and map that to some midi button or prepare some other strategies for handling that
Yep, all things considered a setup like that would be quite fragile. I just watched a video where the midi controller that I was considering buying failed, and that's Morningstar MC8, supposedly the best midi controller on the planet. I'm beginning to understand why seasoned pros rely mostly on dedicated hardware and have two of everything on hand.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Windows native is not stable enough to use in a live situation. I would not even think about windows plugins in a wine situation.

I use Guitarix live and have never had an issue, but I'm not performing in front of thousands of fans where a crash would be the end of the world either.