[SOLVED--MAYBE] Where Can I Get Microsoft Core Fonts (for Linux Use?)

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tapenade
Established Member

[SOLVED--MAYBE] Where Can I Get Microsoft Core Fonts (for Linux Use?)

Post by tapenade »

Short of copying TTF files out of a borrowed Windows computer ("c:\Windows\Fonts"); is there a way I can get the fonts on my home system?

I vaguely remember there was a workaround for distros. It was legal yet involved downloading.
Or, do you know of where the fonts are available for download from one of those fonts hosting websites?

FL Studio and some other programs tend to need them.
Last edited by tapenade on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
bluzee
Established Member

Re: Where Can I Get Microsoft Core Fonts (for Linux Use?)

Post by bluzee »

Ubuntu and Debian have package ttf-mscorefonts-installer. Not sure what others have.
tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

bluzee wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:29 am Ubuntu and Debian have package ttf-mscorefonts-installer. Not sure what others have.
Well, I'm on Manjaro.
But I suppose I could make a LiveUSB and then transfer over.
Any other ideas till then?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Just FYI, there are some free (as in freedom) fonts which are metrically compatible with Microsoft fonts. This means they don't look the same but fit the same space. They are called Croscore.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Since you're on Manjaro you may use the AUR repos then have your choice:

Code: Select all

pamac search ttf-ms-fonts
tapenade
Established Member

[SOLVED--MOSTLY] Where Can I Get Microsoft Core Fonts (for Linux Use?)

Post by tapenade »

OK, I didn't have much luck with what I found.
However, the entire reason for it turns out to be moot, I guess.

In the past, FL Studio required the MS CoreFonts (I think mainly Arial.TTF) or else there would be no words, just a blank, blind colourful interface.
Impossible to use without words...
So I have been taking pains to include those fonts in the C:\Windows\Fonts for WINE ever since.
But I lost my old files and erased my Windows OS a few days ago without backing up the fonts like I should have.

Anyways, it's moot because I installed FL Studio and it doesn't seem to need any Windows fonts.
I did put some similar TTF fonts into C:\Windows\Fonts, but not that many, certainly not the full list usually needed.
And the fonts are still Linux TTF's on their insides. I forget which ones I used, but anyhow. I don't know if it worked.
But I'm not having any problems. Also, I did install one file from AUR, which I think is called "ttf-ms-fonts-fake" or something like that.
It's designed to make the programs looking for the Windows fonts, use something else instead.

Sorry I'm so sloppy and vague on this stuff. But, um, like, yeah....
tapenade
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED--MAYBE] Where Can I Get Microsoft Core Fonts (for Linux Use?)

Post by tapenade »

I keep forgetting to contact a friend of mine to get a copy of the fonts.
If anybody has a direct download link to some specific metric-compatible linux ones, that'd be nice.

I might need font near-look-alikes for at least:

Arial
Calibri
Consolas
Courier
Tahoma
Verdana

Also, if anybody knows which Apple fonts are most commonly used, most needed, please let me know about that here too.

My goal is to have available to WINE, and to web browsers, only the most common stable fonts or their substitutes, and then I'm going to reduce the number of fonts on my system dramatically.

Ubuntu Studio used to come with like hundreds of fonts and that's just too much for me.
I already reduced the number of fonts on my system once this month, and I need to do it again later.
Reducing font quantity might be considered a system optimization historically.

Sometimes I do some graphic design too, and I don't want to have to menu dive through 200-2000+ fonts!!!
More is not better! Also, I like to use just a few really nice freeware fonts without looking too much like everyone else.

I still really miss the good old "CHICAGO" font from 1980s 1990s Apple Macintosh computers, circa System 6.0.5.
I think System 6.0.5 (on floppy diskette) was the first OS I used that didn't crash all the time. System crashes back then were DRAMATIC!
The on screen crash window was almost entirely unrecoverable (had to poweroff and lose all work) and literally looked like a lit and active bomb (icon).
...Not really very sympathetic to flustered users to throw up a lit bomb icon right when we lost all our work (again).

Peace Love Unicorns Respect