Pipewire for pro audio

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Pipewire for pro audio

Post by sysrqer »

Pipewire's dynamic behaviour with buffersize is known to cause Ardour to crash so I think that's probably the case with mixbus. That's interesting about the gpu, I'd guess it's probably best to use the hybrid and disable the integrated but whatever works!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I should probably mention a feature I came across recently, you can set your card's name to 'system' so that any projects you use will automatically be routed as they were when you used Jack, so it eliminates the need to manually change the settings. This was really useful for me with VCV Rack because the audio settings are per project and now it pipewire is literally a drop in replacement.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Also, for your xruns issue did you verify with pw-top what the buffer size and sample rate actually was?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

thebutant wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm All I want is a stable setup for audio work.
I would consider to stay with JACK still for a while, from what you are describing you got a stable and working setup with it.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:23 pm @thedebutant: can't one use Jack next to Pipewire? Just like with PulseAudio?
Yes you can. The only caveat is you'll lose the bridge to JACK, AFAIK.
Last edited by LAM on Fri May 27, 2022 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Reaper does not work with ALSA Midi seq. It uses Jack Midi
That's a monumental mistake. (And jack midi is just utter shite that serves only to make linux harder to use).

Someone should tell the reaper devs that jack midi is not the standard API for midi on linux, and no properly written app should use it.
Had a word with the devs, the new jeffg edition of Reaper is on the way. The alsa midi is done and they are currently using MS Paint, designing the new U.I.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Largo wrote: Had a word with the devs
That wasn't a reaper developer you talked to on the phone. They don't charge $4.99 per minute to scold you for being a "bad doggie".

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 am P.S. Reaper does not work with ALSA Midi seq. It uses Jack Midi (yep: there is such a thing). Does Pipewire support Jack Midi?
Reaper works with ALSA MIDI.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Reaper does not work with ALSA Midi seq. It uses Jack Midi
That's a monumental mistake. (And jack midi is just utter shite that serves only to make linux harder to use).

Someone should tell the reaper devs that jack midi is not the standard API for midi on linux, and no properly written app should use it.
Calm down, this was a misinformation :)
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 am
Largo wrote: Had a word with the devs
That wasn't a reaper developer you talked to on the phone. They don't charge $4.99 per minute to scold you for being a "bad doggie".
Ye of little faith. They sent me a screenshot of the new jeffg interface.
Attachments
newreaper.png
newreaper.png (37.04 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Kott wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:11 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 am P.S. Reaper does not work with ALSA Midi seq. It uses Jack Midi (yep: there is such a thing). Does Pipewire support Jack Midi?
AFAIK Reaper uses Alsa-Midi when, in Reaper itself, you choose to use Alsa as the 'Audio system'. One does that in Reaper in the Preferences window (ALT + O, P). If I choose to use Jack as 'Audio system' then Reaper will only show up in the 'Midi' tab of Qjackctl. That tab is secret speak for "Jack-Midi" whereas the tab called 'Alsa' means "Alsa-Midi".

Or do you know of a way to use Jack in Reaper and Alsa-Midi for Midi, like Qtractor does? Maybe I've missed a configuration option.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:55 am
Kott wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:11 am
AFAIK Reaper uses Alsa-Midi when, in Reaper itself, you choose to use Alsa as the 'Audio system'. One does that in Reaper in the Preferences window (ALT + O, P). If I choose to use Jack as 'Audio system' then Reaper will only show up in the 'Midi' tab of Qjackctl. That tab is secret speak for "Jack-Midi" whereas the tab called 'Alsa' means "Alsa-Midi".

Or do you know of a way to use Jack in Reaper and Alsa-Midi for Midi, like Qtractor does? Maybe I've missed a configuration option.
You're right here, in "JACK mode" it resets to JACK MIDI. And I don't know if it can use both simultaneously.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

If Reaper supports ALSA Audio and MIDI why would anyone try to use both JACK Audio and ALSA MIDI at the same time..? Reaper and Ardour/Mixbus can both connect directly to ALSA for both MIDI and Audio, JACK, PipeWire and Pulse can be used of course *AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING IT THAT WAY but again as mentioned in other threads if you want direct ALSA Audio/MIDI at least with Reaper/Ardour/Mixbus simply use the ALSA Backend.

JACK and now PW are only needed for outside routing of modular JACK apps or to use Desktop Audio (Web Browsing, Media Players et all) at the same time as you are using your DAW..
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

GMaq wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:35 pm If Reaper supports ALSA Audio and MIDI why would anyone try to use both JACK Audio and ALSA MIDI at the same time..?
Because I find connecting in- and outputs more easy with Qjackctl, without bridging Alsa-Midi to Jack-Midi. Butt you're right: one really only needs it if your DAW won't work w/ Alsa (i.e. if it's Jack only) or if you want to listen to Desktop audio at the same time as to your DAW.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

My setup is currently a neverending version of this:

I open Mixbus or Reaper (just to test, I don't really work in Reaper), work there for about one minute until I hear the clicking in my loudspeaker, the old sign that Jack has frozen. Except it's pw-jack that for some reason freezes. And all the time. Totally unpredictable.
And for some reason it doesn't freeze with Qtractor.
So it's not every Jack application.
However I work in Mixbus 32C, so I really need that one to work. And I just cannot make it not freeze. I've tried getting rid of old Jack settings, in case they were interfering. No difference. And every time it happens, I have to restart qpwgraph also, as it freezes at the same moment.

I can always restart the applications right after.

Does anyone understand any of this?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

thebutant wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:56 am My setup is currently a neverending version of this:

I open Mixbus or Reaper (just to test, I don't really work in Reaper), work there for about one minute until I hear the clicking in my loudspeaker, the old sign that Jack has frozen. Except it's pw-jack that for some reason freezes. And all the time. Totally unpredictable.
And for some reason it doesn't freeze with Qtractor.
So it's not every Jack application.
However I work in Mixbus 32C, so I really need that one to work. And I just cannot make it not freeze. I've tried getting rid of old Jack settings, in case they were interfering. No difference. And every time it happens, I have to restart qpwgraph also, as it freezes at the same moment.

I can always restart the applications right after.

Does anyone understand any of this?
You might want to start a separate topic about this. PW seems to come with solutions and with some new problems of its own...