Merged interfaces not merging - .asoundrc | AVLinux

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Re: Merged interfaces not merging - .asoundrc | AVLinux

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

asbak wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:15 am Quit your annoying and ungrateful whining.

Merging soundcards is a troublesome endeavour and all we did was to make you aware of this. If that's not what you want to hear and insist on going down other routes - which may or may not work then that's OK too but don't presume to start handing out lectures about what advice people - based on experience they have gained - are allowed to give you.

Unbelieveable. Crying about your personal circumstances on forum posts is the most pathetic thing I've read here in some time.
There's no need for that.

Dave Plummer/Primeval Mudd*

Ubuntu Studio | Reaper (Linux native)

Facebook | YouTube

• Should you be wondering, Primeval Mudd is an anagram of David Plummer.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Thanks @merlyn and @Linuxmusician01 for your comprehensive, helpful and polite replies!

I'm not new to audio and Linux but I've not tried doing anything like this before.

Facebook | YouTube

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I felt the same way several years ago. Have then after years times everything written down (audioadapter) viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025 - all this should not be forgotten - because I wanted to spare other people this pain which I have gone through in the search.
Surprisingly, it was even taken in the jackaudio wiki https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/. That makes me happy because I may have done something useful in life. :-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

khz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:35 pm I felt the same way several years ago. Have then after years times everything written down (audioadapter) viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025 - all this should not be forgotten - because I wanted to spare other people this pain which I have gone through in the search.
I'm having a look at the audioadapter stuff, though at the minute I'm just glad to have things working. I don't want to rock the boat!
That makes me happy because I may have done something useful in life. :-)
I've been trying to do that through local campaigning and being elected to local government but I suspect your contribution to the world is probably more productive! My track record on saving bus services ain't great. :cry:

Facebook | YouTube

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

khz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:35 pm I felt the same way several years ago. Have then after years times everything written down (audioadapter) viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025 - all this should not be forgotten - because I wanted to spare other people this pain which I have gone through in the search.
Surprisingly, it was even taken in the jackaudio wiki https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/. That makes me happy because I may have done something useful in life. :-)
Holy schmolie! That's a lot of ways to combine 2 audio interfaced man! I'm afraid it's too much for me to read up on (especially since it differs for Jack1 and Jack2). And come Pipewire chances are we have to "unlearn" all this and find a way to do it w/ PW.

Can anybody, who has tried any of the methods, tell if it works for more than a short time? That is, is it in all practicality workable for hours and do you not have audio crackles, crashes or stuff like that?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

With the "audioadapter" (only available in jack2) I have over years as there - see link above - trouble-free/reliable 2 RME 9632 cards and later a 9632 and an AIO, with all extensions and all I/O (audio/MIDI/digital/) wired and over the hdspmixer (you have to switch in the hdspmixer unfortunately between 1/2/3 Image back and forth, 2 different mixers :dislike:) as well as over Jackd and $Ardour crisscross routed, successfully used. I synced the two cards via S/PDIF.
I have described it in such detail because at that time - so in 2011 - it took me about 1.5 years to get 2 interfaces running reliably under Linux. I had tested many of the methods listed above until I read about the "audioadapter" in the last corners of the internet. The process was torture but I found out that the internet can be very ~informative/nice/Star_Trek/foobar and you can learn by yourself. Even on the jack Hompage was at that time nothing of it.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

khz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:03 pm With the "audioadapter" (only available in jack2) I have over years as there - see link above - trouble-free/reliable 2 RME 9632 cards and later a 9632 and an AIO, with all extensions and all I/O (audio/MIDI/digital/) wired and over the hdspmixer (you have to switch in the hdspmixer unfortunately between 1/2/3 Image back and forth, 2 different mixers :dislike:) as well as over Jackd and $Ardour crisscross routed, successfully used. I synced the two cards via S/PDIF.
I have described it in such detail because at that time - so in 2011 - it took me about 1.5 years to get 2 interfaces running reliably under Linux. I had tested many of the methods listed above until I read about the "audioadapter" in the last corners of the internet. The process was torture but I found out that the internet can be very ~informative/nice/Star_Trek/foobar and you can learn by yourself. Even on the jack Hompage was at that time nothing of it.
Weird that someone would take the trouble to program something like 'audioadapter' in JackAudio and then say nothing about it... Documentation sometimes lacks/sucks. Thanks for the info.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi,

After laughing at the latency of Pipewire in Ubuntu and, while trying to use it in AV-Linux, learning more about systemctl than I wanted to, I've gone back to using Ubuntu with alsa_in and alsa_out.

I've been using them to add the UMC404's ins and outs to the FLOW8's (henceforth the F8) pretty successfully. I tried adding my old Scarlett 2i2 but that was asking a bit too much of my laptop.

There has been assorted Reaper/Jack shenanigans but that's just the usual,
WTF? It was working a minute ago!
which is a comment that should probably go on my gravestone.

I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that.

I recently bought a* UMC1820 (the UMC404's big brother) as I needed more physical inputs than the twelve the F8 and UMC404 gave me.

After a fair bit of faffing around I've finally got a QjackCtl patchbay definition playing nicely with a Reaper channel map.

They even work after a reboot.

I sh*t you not - it's really true.

So, I'm a fairly happy bunny as I've got enough inputs to do what I need/want/would like to do:
  • The kicks, snares and hats from the DrumBrute Impact (henceforth DBI) and RD-6 going to inputs 3 - 8 on the UMC1820
  • The Mixed Outs from the DBI and RD-6 going to the UMC1820's inputs 1 and 2
  • Behringer (grr) C-1, SM58, electric guitar and bass guitar going to the F8's first four inputs
  • Monologue, Crave and Volca Keys going to inputs 5 - 7 on the F8.

I'd like to sort out an .arsoundrc file which works but, for the time being, I'm happy to spend a few seconds opening three terminal tabs and pushing the arrow up key until I reach one of:

Code: Select all

a2jmidid -ue

alsa_in -j F8 -d hw:F8 -c 10

alsa_out -j F8 -d hw:F8 -c 4
Right now it's working so I ain't going to try to fix it!

* I know that should be 'an', not 'a', but 'an' doesn't seem to flow as well as 'a'. Odd.

Facebook | YouTube

Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Can't help with the rest but:
Primeval_Mudd wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:27 am * I know that should be 'an', not 'a', but 'an' doesn't seem to flow as well as 'a'. Odd.
this is because it starts with a Y sound.
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:27 am Image
Holy toy-land, you have a lotta gear. Nice setup, and no wonder it's been hard to get it all working!

So can we turn this thread into a "show me your studio" photo dump?
---scott

LinkedIn