how do I set WINE defaults to 128/48000?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

how do I set WINE defaults to 128/48000?

Post by pax-eterna »

I am using an app in WINE that keeps defaulting to 480/48000, which is way too much latency to be of any use for live play. I am using a USB audio device (Behringer XR18) and the app seems to be "fixed" to whatever the default system is (WINE).

I can access ALSA directly in Reaper, but in other apps using WINE I think they are forced to use some pre-configured audio control in the wine setup.

I've also tried WIne-Asio (from the AUR repo - running Manjaro) but it does not appear as an option in either WINEcfg or in Qjackctl.

So question is how can I set the default rates in WINE audio to 128/48000?

Thanks
gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: how do I set WINE defaults to 128/48000?

Post by gimmeapill »

I don't remember seeing a setting in WINE itself either.
If you need low latency with WINE, then wineasio should be the way to go. This means that you will also have to use the Jack sound server -> this is where you will set the buffer size & sample rate (the wine application will be just a client).
Assuming that wineasio was registered correctly in your wine prefix, you should be able to select it as an output in the wine application, then connect as usual using one of the graphical jack patchbays.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Set the soundserver to ALSA with winetricks.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

If you figure out how to get wineasio working in Arch or whatever derivative you may be using then please say how you did it. I've installed it from the AUR also and I've never been able to get it working. I have used wineasio in the past though and it makes a noticeable difference to latency so I would definitely pursue that one. Other than that I don't have much to offer. Sorry.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

I believe wine-asio is for Jack applications. If ALSA is used in Reaper all is needed is to set it to the winealsa driver instead of winepulse. It should show up in winecfg as winealsa.drv in the Audio tab. It seems pax-eterna has the same setup without Jack for Reaper like I do and I use only ALSA ( 48khz/24bit) and use a lot of Window plugins without a problem.
Maybe wineasio is just another way of doing it, so please correct me anyone if wineasio is better suited for the job.
I should note that I don't use Jack, so I don't know if there is any downside to doing it that way, but it werks on my machine.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

wineasio allows windows apps that can choose the various audio modes, like directx, waveout, WDM, wasapi, asio, to have a working option. Such apps are often daws or standalone versions of plugins, like Kontakt or Amplitube.

The linux daw user with yabridge or linvst wrapping windows plugins doesn't need wineasio itself,
as the wrappers themselves supplant the driver duties by providing alternative plugins
which don't care.

If you need/want a standalone windows app to perform with low latency, then you will need wineasio.
These apps sometimes have special features that are normally available in the daw by adding extra plugins to a session.
Using a windows daw that can run in wine, like reaper, will also likely need the wineasio option, but wasapi can work if you have a lucky combo of gear and software, and understand the config files.
The luck itself is nowhere specified that I know of.

A maintainer fully committed to wineasio across the main linux platforms, would be nice.
But time is money, and both are in short supply these days. Keeping up with the wine release pace
is likely quite a time consuming chore.
Cheers
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

The easiest way is to use Cadence
start Cadence
go to the 'Tweaks' tab and then click on 'WineASIO' on the left
under JACK Options there is a drop down menu to set 'Preferred buffersize'
you can select the buffer size you'd like your WINE apps to use there