Xruns with low DSP & CPU loads?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

LAM
Established Member

Re: Xruns with low DSP & CPU loads?

Post by LAM »

d.healey wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:55 pm I've been getting horrible xruns, dropouts, pops, clicks, etc.

I installed pipewire last week and removed pulse and jack2 and 99% of my xrun issues have been solved. I did have to switch to Debian testing though which was *fun*.
You can go further and join the unstable club. ;)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Re: Xruns with low DSP & CPU loads?

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

One possible culprit could be the GPU and the drivers. I built an Intel 11600K / Asus motherboard based system half a year ago and stuck with the integrated GPU for a while. I kept having lots of xruns when JACK DSP barely hit 40%. When I was moving around plugin windows in DAWs I'd get the xruns even at low DSP loads (< 10%). Disabling compositing had an effect on it, but not so much that it could have been a satisfactory workaround. I decided to buy one of the fanless NVIDIA cards and I now get what I consider to be "normal Linux audio performance" (xruns start at 65-70% when running JACK at 128 / 2 if there's a lot going in the arrangements). I've had similar fanless cards in all my systems for, uhm, 15+ years and I've been fairly happy with them (I've typically used the proprietary NVIDIA drivers).

However, I'm using a RME PCIe card and now I'm getting some noise from the graphics card that is audible especially through the headphone output. :lol: I don't think that was the case with my two previous AMD based systems, although both of them had similar fanless NVIDIA cards inside them and I've been also using PCI / PCIe cards.