(Solved) AVL MXE lost sound

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

(Solved) AVL MXE lost sound

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

I added another internal HD to my computer to install AVL MXE to give it another go.
Installation went well so far and I was able to boot. But the sound volume icon at the dock doesn't have any effect on the sound volume itself.
Though, I was getting sound via QjackCtl and Clementine and could change the sound volume via Clementine's own volume slider.
So, soundcard was chosen and working.

I removed the sound volume icon from the dock and tried to get another mixer working, as I stumbled over qasmixer.
I clicked some of the circles below the faders and when clicking the LFE circle, sound was muted.
No matter what I tried, sound remains muted.

So, what to do to get the sound back?
What to do to get the original sound volume icon at the dock working for the system's sound volume?

Bildschirmfoto_2021-09-10_21-46-31.jpg
Bildschirmfoto_2021-09-10_21-46-31.jpg (177.24 KiB) Viewed 5181 times

By the way: I needed to do a sudo thunar in terminal to be able to copy the screenshot to another internal HD.
You really think that's a comfortable way to work with a computer/OS?
Last edited by TAERSH on Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVL MXE lost sound

Post by GMaq »

Do you mean the PulseAudio volume control on the dock did not control volume while you were running JACK?

AVL-MXE uses the PulseAudio Jack sink and source to route Audio to whatever device you have selected to run with Qjackctl. The volume control on the Dock is for PulseAudio and if you are running JACK you will need to control the volume of the "PulseAudio JACK sink". If you click on the PulseAudio volume icon on the Dock there is an option for the Audio Mixer which will show you both the System output and the JACK sink.
PA.png
PA.png (39.58 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
This is all explained in great detail in Menu-->Accessories-->AVL-MXE User Manual--> Page 49

Now about Thunar.. is the other drive on your system under a different user name or have a different owner? If so then of course you will have a permissions problem trying to copy a screenshot to a different drive with different ownership. Of course I wouldn't set Thunar up to require sudo on a drive you have permissions to read and write to.
TAERSH
Established Member

Re: (Solved) AVL MXE lost sound

Post by TAERSH »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

It seems there's something gone wrong during the installation.
It also didn't save most of the settings I made.

So, I made a new fresh install and was able to get the sound volume working via the dock's icon/button.
This time it saved the settings I made.

Will now play a little with it...