Distortion in Waveform

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Matt73
Established Member

Re: Distortion in Waveform

Post by Matt73 »

Hello again,

Ok. Success. I got this issue resolved! The frustration of these tech issues brought me to the verge of tears at times. I am not a geek nor do I want to be one. If you want people to be convinced that Dave Gilmour played that solo on your track then I am your man. If you want me to do a tech presentation on Linux, then I am about as much use as a chococlate teapot. However, I have had to become somewhat of a geek because I just don't like Big Tech (evil eye gesture), mainly for their spying and lack of respect for the fundamental human right of freedom of expression

In the end, I followed that Jochenh German guy's video on YouTube to set up for audio production here on Zorin (couldn't create the file in connection with realtime access but it still works anyway; maybe his video is a bit dated now).

Anyroad, got the qjackctl interface installed and selected my interface (it's not obvious which it is but over the course of this ordeal I have realised that the computer sees it as 'USB CODEC something something'.

So first I start the JACK GUI and press play to get it going. Then when I go into the audio settings on Tracktion I can choose JACK (Here's Johnny!) in the settings and then 'system' for the inputs and outputs and....IT'S ALIIIIIIVE! IT WORKS...EVERY TIME! No more horrid distortion! Hurrah!

Now, I'm never really satisfied. I don't like that this other program thingy is running at the same time as my DAW. I wish I could just choose the interface from within the DAW and have it work smoothly. But I can live with it.

I did go back to Windows briefly during this tech ordeal out of sheer desperation but the setup was just too creepy and I figured that, having been on Linux for almost 2 years already, and having learned an awful lot, it would be a shame to let what I have learned slip away. Maybe a new kernel will resolve the ACPI issues with the laptop and maybe PipeWire will simplify things but for now I can just get on and record the album. I will post a link when it's done.

Thanks Guys.

Matt
milo
Established Member

Re: Distortion in Waveform

Post by milo »

Hey! Success! Good show, man. Happy to hear it.

You don't have to worry about much overhead from JACK or qjackctl. I sympathize with your minimalist sentiments regarding one more step to do before you can record ... But you'll get over it. I did. :)