advice for nvidia card sufferer

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Re: advice for nvidia card sufferer

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

@sunrat - I don't know if we're in the same boat, really, but you seem like a good person to ask. After a recent MXLinux (aka AVL-MXE) update, my nVidia driver config (it was 460.xxx) got messed up somehow. I was never able to get it going again with the RT kernel (using your patented EXPORT command); however, nvidia-470.xxx is working in Liquorix.

I suppose this is fine, though I think performance was slightly better with RT kernel. Is this familiar to anyone? Maybe the EXPORT doesn't work with the newest nVidia driver (470); I did get some warning about installing with an RT kernel.

Still not sure why I can't just re-install the 460 driver, but it's a spider's nest of confounding errors and bad boots - and spiders bit my same toe twice in a row so I'm a little shy around them currently (true story!).
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

@ZestieBumwhig without seeing exactly what commands you ran and error messages, it is impossible to speculate what happened. It was months ago I installed Nvidia with the Debian RT kernel, and Liquorix performed better than that did so I haven't tried it since.
The 460.xx Nvidia driver won't install on 5.14 kernel afaik, you need 470.xx for that.
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

@sunrat boy is there egg on my face. Just your mentioning that the 460.xx driver doesn't work on the newest kernel pointed me in the right direction - I'd been trying to get 460.xx to install. I must have neglected the

Code: Select all

export IGNORE_PREEMPT_RT_PRESENCE=1
when I'd tried 470.xx.

Anyway, 470.xx works in the new RT kernel, I was completely wrong and needlessly banging my head against a (brick) wall (limiter) for the past few weeks.