CPU temperature 94 degrees Celsius!

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

CPU temperature 94 degrees Celsius!

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

Somewhere on this forum, there was a post (related to XRuns) of a member showing some additional parameters at the kernel line. So, I added to my kernel line:

Code: Select all

idle=poll processor.max_cstate=1
After doing a reboot the CPU temperature jumps immediately to 94 degrees Celsius. :shock: :?
After removing these parameters and rebooting I'm back at 37 to 41 degrees Celsius. 8)

What has happened?
merlyn
Established Member

Re: CPU temperature 94 degrees Celsius!

Post by merlyn »

Yes, that's too hot. 90 degrees C is about the limit. It was me who posted that so my apologies for overheating your processor.

I'm running a desktop and my processor idles at ~40 degrees C with those kernel parameters. Under extreme load it goes up to ~74 degrees C so it's OK for my system. An audio load has never got it to 74 degrees, I used stress to max out the processor.

So thanks for flagging that up. The message seems to be use those kernel parameters with caution!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Try just enabling one of those parameters at a time to determine which one is causing the heat. My Intel i5 6500 idles around 35℃ and when maxed out with video encoding sits on about 60℃. Kernel parameters are:

"quiet intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1 threadirqs"
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

sunrat wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:34 am Try just enabling one of those parameters at a time to determine which one is causing the heat. My Intel i5 6500 idles around 35℃ and when maxed out with video encoding sits on about 60℃. Kernel parameters are:

"quiet intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1 threadirqs"
Yea, that's nearly what I use as well for my Intel i5-7400 (Quad Core).

intel_idle.max_cstate=0
is disabling the Intel Idle driver.
Additional I use as well

intel_pstate=disable idle=poll
On the road again.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

What does this do?

processor.max_cstate=1 
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

d.healey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:49 pm What does this do?

processor.max_cstate=1 
From https://access.redhat.com/articles/65410 :
A system may be prevented from entering power-saving states by booting with the processor.max_cstates=1 command line option. Additionally, the idle=poll option may be added for the fastest time out of the idle state. Unfortunately both of these options tend to cause power usage to spike.
The rest of that article is also quite interesting, perhaps the comments as well.

I use the Liquorix kernel which has CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y set in it's config which may confuse the issue too. So much varied advice on the net, what can a poor boy do? :? :mrgreen:

Edit (a bit later) - this thread got my wondering why I still had variable CPU frequency. A bit more tweaking and I found in UEFI setup by disabling "CPU EnhancedHalt (C1E)" the frequency would stay fixed, so perhaps the kernel parameters are not the full monty. Curiosity was piqued by a comment in that RedHat article. Ran xruncounter and got "first Xrun happen at DSP load 99.51%". Seems acceptable. 8) A quick run of a Mixbus 32C mix seemed happy.
Sorry to hijack your topic TAERSH but maybe some of this discussion will lead to a fix for your heating.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

TAERSH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:46 am Hi.

Somewhere on this forum, there was a post (related to XRuns) of a member showing some additional parameters at the kernel line. So, I added to my kernel line:

idle=poll processor.max_cstate=1
After doing a reboot the CPU temperature jumps immediately to 94 degrees Celsius. :shock: :?
After removing these parameters and rebooting I'm back at 37 to 41 degrees Celsius. 8)

What has happened?
idle=poll prevents the CPU from entering power saving states. That's probably the main cause for the hight temperature without giving you more performance.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/