Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording volume too low.

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Neljor
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording volume too low.

Post by Neljor »

Dear Linux musicians,
Was trying out the scarlett 2i2 for the first time on opensuse 15.2 with kernel 5.11.6-4.g3222af6-default.
It looks like the device is fully recognized, without extra kernel patches.

Made a recording with sox, audacity and cheese and was unable to get the recording volume up.
Input levels are set to the max (also asla mixer) and the meters look okay but still it is quite soft.

Have followed the module configuration from this page:
https://github.com/sadko4u/focusrite-scarlett-backports

Anyone ran into this? Advises?
Read something about a 'boost mic' configuration with ALSA, but not sure if that is helpful or how to do it.

Kind regards,

Peter
bluzee
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording volume too low.

Post by bluzee »

I don't have one of these but since no one is responding my suggestion would be to check for a "pad" switch in the alsamixer and see if it is engaged.

They build these so cheaply that they have removed most real control switches and leave you to hunt for them in software. Kind of a rip off considering what they charge for these things.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording volume too low.

Post by JamesPeters »

I'm using a 2i2, 3rd gen device. It works fine without any extra software/patches. I'm currently using kernel 5.11.6-1 in Manjaro 21.0, but the 2i2 3rd gen has been working fine for me since I bought it (November 2019) in various distros/kernels.

There are no controls for it in ALSAmixer, and none are required. All controls for the device are on the unit itself (unlike the 4i4, 8i6, etc. which need some things controlled in software).

If you're recording using Pulse Audio, check that you didn't leave the recording input level turned down in pavucontrol (Pulse mixer).

Be sure you're connecting to it properly for the source you're intending to record. Plugging a mic into the 1/4" combo input will result in a weak input level since only the XLR inputs are for mics (1/4" inputs are only for line and instrument sources). Also if you've enabled the instrument input setting and you're using a line input (for something other than guitar/bass), then the line input will sound weak.

Consider your choice of microphone too. If you're using an SM7b microphone, yes its level will be low for spoken voice, but that mic is known for being low output and requiring a lot of preamp gain. I also hope if you're using a condenser microphone that you've turned on phantom power (which is required for those mics).