qjackctl, PD, and MIDI driver

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

qjackctl, PD, and MIDI driver

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I've recently installed a new OS (Arch) and I'm trying to get things like I'm used to. This may be the first of multiple, unimportant requests for guidance from me. I don't always know if something in the software (PD, Jack2...) has been changed, or if my settings can still be made to my liking/comfort (ie, the way AVLinux was... that always treated me real nice...)

I am not seeing MIDI ports for Pure Data in qjackctl, neither in "Graph" nor "Connections." PD settings has input/output options for qjackctl, MIDI Through-Port 0, and whatever hardware I have plugged in. This works - MIDI Through-Port 0 has my MIDI - but previously, PD had its own ports in qjackctl and Carla. And I liked it!

My qjackctl "Execute after startup" is

Code: Select all

pacmd set-default-sink jack_out && a2jmidid -e &
Is this change because of PD, qjackctl, or something else? I don't know!

Also, while we're on the subject, I still don't really understand the MIDI driver options (raw, seq, none). I've tried 'em all.
LAM
Established Member

Re: qjackctl, PD, and MIDI driver

Post by LAM »

Hi @ZestieBumwhig,
I have a similar setup.
You won't need ALSA seq if you want to use JACK MIDI and you are already exporting ALSA MIDI ports in JACK with a2jmidid.
I set ALSA midi to none, and disable the ALSA sequencer.
On the PD MIDI ports not showing: could be you have to specify them when you launch PD with a command line argument like

pd -midiindev 1 -midioutdev 1
for example.
Hope it helps. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

Thanks @LAM

That actually didn't make any difference. However, I think I was misunderstanding the situation. I think the newest version of PD (which is what I'm now running) gives you those connection options within its own MIDI setup page. So, where PD had previously exposed multiple ports in QJackCtl, it now manages the connections itself.

At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Hi @ZestieBumwhig,
I think i forgot something in my example. :wink:

The correct one should be:

pd -alsamidi -midiindev 1 -midioutdev 1
As I said i disabled ALSA MIDI e ALSA SEQ in Qjackctl, with this example command PD will create one ALSA Midi input and one ALSA Midi output that will be then exported automatically by a2jmidid and you'll see them as JACK Midi ports.

I don't know if something changed in the new versions, but this command works fine here.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen