Should I add a user account specifically for my music projects?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

cdysthe
Established Member

Should I add a user account specifically for my music projects?

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

This may belong in the newbie forum, but since I'm a newbie I am not sure, so anyway: I'm an experienced Linux user (not a coder or anything close to that). I am setting up my laptop (Thinkpad) with Jack, a keyboard and DAW. What I wonder about here is whether I should create a separate user account for music and log into that when working on my music projectst instead of using my normal user account? Maybe even use another simpler DE for this account to leave an much juice as possible for my music?
milo
Established Member

Re: Should I add a user account specifically for my music projects?

Post by milo »

That's an option. I'm not sure that it will make a lot of difference, though. You could just as easily use the same user account in a different desktop environment.

One issue is making your user a member of the audio group. That might be a reason to have a separate account for audio work. Some Linux forums seem to be concerned about the security of having a regular user account as a member of this group, but I think in a single-user system that shouldn't matter.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Fwiw, I always create a separate partition for doing audio. That way I am sure the things I need for my day to day computer use do not interfere with the audio part. It also allows me to further finetune the audio partition which in turn could have affected my day to day use, i.e. running a real-time kernel doesn't really make your desktop experience snappier :wink:
cdysthe
Established Member

Post by cdysthe »

autostatic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm Fwiw, I always create a separate partition for doing audio. That way I am sure the things I need for my day to day computer use do not interfere with the audio part. It also allows me to further finetune the audio partition which in turn could have affected my day to day use, i.e. running a real-time kernel doesn't really make your desktop experience snappier :wink:
I have never tun a real time kernel and have no idea what it does to desktop performance, but I guess I will have to, won't I?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

cdysthe wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:56 pm I have never tun a real time kernel and have no idea what it does to desktop performance, but I guess I will have to, won't I?
You might not need to run a realtime kernel. The word on the street is that a lot of performance enhancements have been merged into the default kernel that may be good enough, depending on what you're doing with your music production.