Anybody else's USB interface randomly going silent?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JamesPeters
Established Member

Re: Anybody else's USB interface randomly going silent?

Post by JamesPeters »

In the meantime don't forget to try a new cable.
arifd
Established Member

Post by arifd »

So it's been a few days, some days it never happens, and then sometimes it will happen once or twice, and some days it will just want to do it every 5 minutes. Very very odd.

Things to note:
  • The cable never moves, the device never appears to restart (doesn't do it's restart flashy thing), and direct monitoring is always functional.
  • It happens while cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend is -1
  • it happens with tlp installed (another way to manage autosuspend) and my focusrite device blacklisted from autosuspending
  • although it drops out sometimes at random moments, a lot of the times, it seems to concur with some kind of event, such as I start playing a youtube video, or I switch workspaces
  • conversely, I can get audio to snap back, if I'm able to switch to some different play event/channel - I'm not sure how to explain it, but if for example if I'm only using pulseaudio, When it happens, if I open pavucontrol often I'll hear a crackle and then it's working again. But if I'm in a JACK environment, I can't think of a way to start 'a new conversation' with my device, as JACK is kinda monolithic, and besides, JACK apps hate it if JACK gets restarted.
  • I should probably try another kernel... I will do that between this post and the next time I post again.
    JamesPeters
    Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

You didn't mention if you tried a new cable.

I understand that you didn't move your cable. Consider however that the cable may have a flaw which causes problems even if you don't move the cable.

If you ignore this step, you're avoiding eliminating a variable that's one of the most common causes of problems with USB interfaces (as well as countless other pieces of hardware for computers and audio systems in general). A cable is cheap. Try replacing it.
    WforWoollyMammoth
    Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Does the problem go away if you simply keep the pavucontrol window open on your desktop and do not close it?

If that helps then the problem is probably autosuspend. I had that problem with my Yamaha MG-series mixer that can also be used as an audio interface. It might have also had something to do with the DE I was using (LXDE / Openbox),
    arifd
    Established Member

Post by arifd »

I have tried it now with another cable, another kernel, even another entirely different Linux OS. I haven't yet tried it on windows though or anything like that. The weirdest thing is that the meters inside Pavucontrol etc still are moving, in fact, I can still record perfectly when it goes silent!

So the trick to open up another app, such as pavucontrol works once, it seems, then the trick can't be used again to reset it. Leaving it open doesn't prevent the device from going silent. And I have a little script that resets the USB connection which works every time without fail!

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/bash
    SEARCH="Focusrite-Novation" 
    DEVICE=$(lsusb | grep ${SEARCH} | awk '{print "/dev/bus/usb/"$2"/"$4}' | sed 's/://')
    sudo python3 << EOT
    import fcntl, sys, os, subprocess
    USBDEVFS_RESET = ord('U') << (4*2) | 20
    fd = os.open('${DEVICE}', os.O_WRONLY)
    if fd < 0: sys.exit(1)
    fcntl.ioctl(fd, USBDEVFS_RESET, 0)
    os.close(fd)
    sys.exit(0)
    EOT

arifd
    Established Member

Post by arifd »

So I stumbled on a reddit post where the user described having the same problem with the same interface, he said to switch in pavucontrol > configuration > Analog Stereo Duplex to Digital Stereo Duplex, and so I did, and so far I've had no problems.

But we'll see in a few days, because sometimes it happens all the time and others It'll work fine for days.

So I'll report back and let y'all know how it went
    arifd
    Established Member

Post by arifd »

... Okay, that didn't work :/
    tavasti
    Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I've had earlier problem which was related to power source / ground loop thing. I don't remember details, but moving usb connection from computer to powered usb hub solved my problem. Yeah, I know, audio interface should be connected directly, but for me that was poison. After interface stopped working, I had to unplug it to get things fixed.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

arifd
    Established Member

Post by arifd »

Okay, I have now managed to recreate the problem on a new Computer (but with the same interface) but it happened only and EXACTLY after i forced these settings:

default-sample-format = s32le
    default-sample-rate = 48000
    alternate-sample-rate = 48000

in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Remember it's only output that breaks, input remains working. Source and sink previously had different settings, so i'll need to scratch my head a little bit.

But in any case I'm going to connect the interface to a Windows computer, and run the official driver, and tweak the settings from there.
    arifd
    Established Member

Post by arifd »

Okay, seriously never mind! My monitor has an audio interface which I can use for audio out.

Next time I buy an interface, I'm gonna buy the Audient ID4 Mk II anyway which is superior in quality.