JACK issues after changing motherboard

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

REIS0
Established Member

JACK issues after changing motherboard

Post by REIS0 »

Last monday (december 7) I've changed my cheap old motherboard to a new one, Asrock B450m Steel Legend, and after this I can't use JACK anymore, I'm trying to fix this since them but literally no progress. Some solutions I've already tried: deleting .jackdrc, .config/jack/conf.xml and .config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf, tested if it was IRQ issue, tested running killing pulseaudio while running JACK. Just to know I'm using my onboard soundcard, so I've tried to set it default in /etc/asound.conf but nothing changed.

Here's more information:

When running with (default)

When running with Generic (onboard soundcard), a lot of xruns happening with low dsp usage:

And here some command outputs:

First the "aplay -l" output:

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
"lspci | grep Audio":

05:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
07:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller
And using the realTimeConfigQuickScan:

== GUI-enabled checks ==
Checking if you are root... no - good
Checking filesystem 'noatime' parameter... 5.8.0 kernel - good
(relatime is default since 2.6.30)
Checking CPU Governors... CPU 0: 'performance' CPU 1: 'performance' CPU 10: 'performance' CPU 11: 'performance' CPU 2: 'performance' CPU 3: 'performance' CPU 4: 'performance' CPU 5: 'performance' CPU 6: 'performance' CPU 7: 'performance' CPU 8: 'performance' CPU 9: 'performance'  - good
Checking swappiness... 10 - good
Checking for resource-intensive background processes... none found - good
Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good
increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288' to /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#sysctlconf
Checking whether you're in the 'audio' group... yes - good
Checking for multiple 'audio' groups... no - good
Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... yes - good
Checking kernel support for high resolution timers... found - good
Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
Kernel without 'threadirqs' parameter or real-time capabilities found
For more information, see https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#do_i_really_need_a_real-time_kernel
Checking if kernel system timer is high-resolution... found - good
Checking kernel support for tickless timer... found - good
== Other checks ==
Checking filesystem types... ok.
Checking for devices at IRQ 34... did not find multiple. ok.
My system is Pop_OS! 20.10, I have linux-lowlatency installed, my setup worked very well with my old motherboard.
LAM
Established Member

Re: JACK issues after changing motherboard

Post by LAM »

Hi @REIS0,
if your problem is Jack not starting anymore the first thing to do is to make sure jack pick the right soundcard, if it picks the HDMI one it will not start (experienced this myself on my system).
  • You said you set default in /etc/asound.conf but is easy to screw up there, the way i found works better for me is this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad ... le_options
  • Based on the output of realtimequickscan for further optimizations i would start from here:

Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good
    increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288' to /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting
    Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
    Kernel without 'threadirqs' parameter or real-time capabilities found
    and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

REIS0
Established Member

Post by REIS0 »

@LAM I think I've seen you username is other place but maybe I'm just confused :)

Anyway, I've tried theses changes and still the same, I've talked with falktx and he said it can be a hardware issue, so maybe my only choice is wait for a system update and luckily it will fix this, I've tried searching for my sound chip drivers but the only answer I got are from 5-3 years ago and apparently this onboard soundcard is already supported since kernel 5.3. I'm currently trying to find something in ALSA related to my chip model but it's been kinda hard.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Hi @REIS0,
we met on the unfa's rocket chat and we already tried to troubleshoot your problem. :wink:

Sadly if all these changes had no effect to solve your problem this could be an hardware issue.

Anyway, just to rule out a software problem you could try another live distro with jack preinstalled, live AVLinux, and see if you have the same problem. Try at least 2-3 different distros (maybe with a different kernel/configuration you can pinpoint the issue).

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

REIS0
Established Member

Post by REIS0 »

Yes you're right :)

I'll add this to my test list, I've already got the tip from other people to try other kernels, the only thing holding me back from using a more recent one is my nvidia drivers which are really a pain to do anything without just exploding it, as soon as I try a audio ready system I'll post here.
REIS0
Established Member

Post by REIS0 »

Decided to post some updates

After some time I've decided to test Ardour with ALSA, and discovered that I can run 48khz with 3 as period buffer without any xruns at all, even with with low buffer settings like 128 or 256. With 2 it gets really bad but with 3 works beautifully.

Then when moving to JACK got a lot of xruns again, even with the same settings, but now it gives me some feedback on what is causing it:

Here's what I've discovered:
  • ALSA works with 48khz when period buffer is 3, with 2 it just throws a lot of xruns
  • With 96khz and using period buffer as 2, no xruns
  • In JACK 48hkz, no pulseaudio jack sink errors with period buffer as 2, but xruns happens
  • With period buffer as 3, no xruns directly but they still happen due to pulseaudio jack sink errors
Now I'm on my way to understand why these errors occur, while ALSA works, my usb cable is not recognized so I can't record anything, and while in JACK it is recognized, xruns just make it unusable. (And since this cable has no support for anything above 48khz, I can't use it in a higher samplerate)