Bluetooth headphones work with some programs but not all? [SOLVED]

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

UncleOilybag
Established Member

Bluetooth headphones work with some programs but not all? [SOLVED]

Post by UncleOilybag »

I use Linux Mint 20 and have successfully installed JACK which thanks to Cadence works well in conjuction with PulseAudio.
Subsequently I was so pleased with myself when I manged how to get my bluetooth headphones working thanks to various posts on forums.
I tend to use the CLI programs 'alsamixer' and 'pulsemixer' to control all my volume needs.
So my bluetooth headphones ( yes I have 3 different brands - all work ) well with Audacity, Celluloid, Zoom, Openshot, ffmpeg - all my 'usual' audio visual programs BUT ....OH NO ....DISASTER.... I can't get them to work with:-
  • Frescobaldi ( front end for Lilypond)
    Rosgarden ( My favourite DAW)
both of which rely on MIDI sounds provided by QSynth
Oh yes these programs work well through the laptop speakers or WIRED headphones but not bluetooth.
Could anyone point me in the correct direction?
(PS I know bluetooth headphones suffer from lag etc cf wired, but they are useful in some circumstances - and I'd like to listen to my MIDI programs on them)
Last edited by UncleOilybag on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Bluetooth headphones work with some programs but not all?

Post by varpa »

There is a problem that there is no bluetooth driver in alsa, so bluetooth only works with pulse audio. Since Jack relies on alsa this means that Jack-based applications can't use bluetooth. However, there are some workarounds see:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12114&p=121606&hil ... sa#p121606
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20907&p=116931&hil ... sa#p116931
UncleOilybag
Established Member

Re: Bluetooth headphones work with some programs but not all? {SOLVED]

Post by UncleOilybag »

At last I have found a solution to my problem ..... which has incidentally been there on my computer all the time - I just was so slow and stupid not to see it in the first place.
As I said - I had successfully played all my music through bluetooth headphones except any MIDI files - for which I was using Qsynth as my MIDI synthesiser. ..... IT IS A SETTING IN QSYNTH THAT NEEDS ALTERING !
In QSynth > Set up button > Audio tab ...choose the AUDIO DRIVER as alsa ( not jack as was my default) - now everything works perfecctly.

I hope this helps somebody else.