mismatch between JACK and Pulse sample rate

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

mismatch between JACK and Pulse sample rate

Post by wolftune »

Until recently, I had an issue where the "switch master" function in JACK (to change the hardware setup, such as sample rate or device) would lose the connection to Pulseaudio bridge. I had to stop and restart the bridge (not pulse itself, just the bridge) to get the JACK connections reestablished.

Then, recently some update (btw, I'm using KXStudio on KDE Neon) fixed this. Switch master retained the pulse connections.

But now, when I switched sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz (or reverse), the audio hardware switched while pulseaudio stayed the same. Thus, Mumble or Jitsi using pulseaudio were getting strange pitch shifts with the different input sample rate being played back at the other rate. So, with hardware at 44.1 and pulse at 48, I heard lower-pitched output sounds from pulse sources while other people heard higher-pitched sound from my input.

I can get them matched by stopping and starting the pulse bridge when changing the sample rate.

Any idea where in this I should report the issue? Is it in JACK itself?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Re: mismatch between JACK and Pulse sample rate

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

wolftune wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:40 am Until recently, I had an issue where the "switch master" function in JACK (to change the hardware setup, such as sample rate or device) would lose the connection to Pulseaudio bridge. I had to stop and restart the bridge (not pulse itself, just the bridge) to get the JACK connections reestablished.

Then, recently some update (btw, I'm using KXStudio on KDE Neon) fixed this. Switch master retained the pulse connections.

But now, when I switched sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz (or reverse), the audio hardware switched while pulseaudio stayed the same. Thus, Mumble or Jitsi using pulseaudio were getting strange pitch shifts with the different input sample rate being played back at the other rate. So, with hardware at 44.1 and pulse at 48, I heard lower-pitched output sounds from pulse sources while other people heard higher-pitched sound from my input.

I can get them matched by stopping and starting the pulse bridge when changing the sample rate.

Any idea where in this I should report the issue? Is it in JACK itself?
Either switch JACK to match the hardware sample rate or the hardware to match JACK's. If you have more than one sound device you can also dedicate JACK to the one you use for production work and leave the other for games, Youtube, etc. and avoid the interference.
I'm going to need you to go ahead, and come in on Sunday, too.
wolftune
Established Member

Re: mismatch between JACK and Pulse sample rate

Post by wolftune »

Either switch JACK to match the hardware sample rate or the hardware to match JACK's. If you have more than one sound device you can also dedicate JACK to the one you use for production work and leave the other for games, Youtube, etc. and avoid the interference.
Well, in this case, I switched the hardware *via* JACK's "switch master" function. So, there was no mismatch between JACK and the hardware. The mismatch was only that *pulse* was still operating at the previous sample rate.

It used to be that "switch master" lost the pulse connection, so I had to stop and start pulse manually, which led to a matched sample rate. Now, the pulse connection stays.

So, I need to manually stop-start pulse whenever I switch the sample rate in a "switch master" process. It seems *ideal* for JACK to somehow notice that *specifically* in the case of a sample-rate change, that pulse should be restarted.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com