Ardour + multi-interface setup

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

Ardour + multi-interface setup

Post by martibs »

I'm using Ardour as my DAW, running Jack2 as my audio daemon, set up with Cadence.

I have a 12 channel audio interface, with various gear connected, including Elektrons Digitakt and Digitone sampler/synthesizer. Elektron recently released new firmware for the Digis, which enables support for USB Class Compliant audio. I haven't made the firmware upgrade yet, but I guess that means that the devices will show up as audio devices in ALSA, next to my existing interface.

I'm eyeing the possibility here, that I could free up four channels on the audio interface, if I could somehow use USB to get audio from the Digis to the DAW. The questions are:
  • Is it possible?
  • What are the options?
  • What are the drawbacks?
Is it an alternative to drop Jack altogether, and go ALSA native?
Baggypants
Established Member

Re: Ardour + multi-interface setup

Post by Baggypants »

you can use the command alsa_in to get other soundcard inputs to work with the main jack card.

https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html

The drawbacks are if you end up with weird timing issues you may experience odd clicks and pops. I never have though.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

Thanks khz, I had a go with jack_load but apparently audiodevice.so isn't provided in any way for Fedora distributions! I'm stuck with alsa_in and I'll look at file a bug against it.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Take the "audioadapter". :-D
But how to synchronize several USB Class Compliant Audio/MIDI interfaces in the same order after each reboot I have no experience. Should work similar to PCI/PCIe cards.
==> Whats the best implementation for multiple USB interfaces? https://forum.moddevices.com/t/whats-th ... ces/4656/7
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.