Latency Meter doesn't work

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hdr
Established Member

Latency Meter doesn't work

Post by hdr »

I would like to check my latency with Latency Meter plugin: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&section=latency_meter

This is my configuration:
latencymeter.png
latencymeter.png (229.95 KiB) Viewed 873 times
The level meter in the Latency Meter plugin shows there is signal coming from the microphone. But it doesn't show the latency after triggering Measure
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Latency Meter doesn't work

Post by merlyn »

Latency Meter is working. The latency between the two points you're measuring is zero. You've made a connection between the input and output of Latency Meter in software.
To measure the latency, first connect output of the plugin to the input of the transmission line. Then connect the output of the transmission line to the input of the plugin.
When the manual refers to a 'transmission line' it means an analogue cable outside the computer. Latency Meter is designed to have its input connected to its output with an external analogue cable.

To use a mic you would have to put the mic up against the speaker and that isn't a lot of use because the speed of sound in air will become a factor.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

Hm, actually I made a connection from capture_1 which is channel 1 of my interface (where I connected a microphone) to the input of the Meter channel and connected the output of Meter channel to Master input. Isn't that the way it's meant to be?
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

hdr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 pm Hm, actually I made a connection from capture_1 which is channel 1 of my interface (where I connected a microphone) to the input of the Meter channel and connected the output of Meter channel to Master input. Isn't that the way it's meant to be?
Normally when checking latency.

You route the latency meterplugin to an fysical output. This can be via master of ardour, but doesn't need to be.
On the fysical output of your interface, you connect a cable and the other side of the cable you connect to the fysical input of your interface.
In ardour on the channel where the latency meter is, you have to choose the fysical input of your interface where (loopback)cable is connected.

So Latency meter send audio to fysical output. It's coming back via the cable(loopback) inside your interface. Latency meter can capture the audio via choosen input'where loopback comes in) and then can measure the latency.

You don't use a microphone for this. Only cables
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

In this video they use a mic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXTcJb4DLs
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

On the screenshot you posted there are two connections going into the Latency Meter track. One is the microphone, one is coming from round the back and looks like it's the output of the Latency Meter track.

I don't need to load Ardour to use Latency Meter -- I can run it as a standalone with :

Code: Select all

$ lsp-plugins-latency-meter
I connect it like this :

Now you have to close the loop, and that is done outside the computer with e.g. a guitar lead connecting hardware input 1 to hardware output 1.