Saffire 6 USB 1.1 no inputs available in Jack [ SOLVED ]

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

boik
Established Member

Saffire 6 USB 1.1 no inputs available in Jack [ SOLVED ]

Post by boik »

New thread to discuss a potential fix for the USB 1.1 Saffire 6.
This discussion started on the thread "QjackCtl: USB-interace selection not available", but has digressed to testing a potential software fix.
Last edited by boik on Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
boik
Established Member

Re: Saffire 6 USB 1.1 no inputs available in Jack

Post by boik »

puleglot,

After various running out of space, I have finally recompiled the kernel and all modules, installed everything and rebooted.

boik@boik-SATELLITE-C850-1PM:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: USB [Saffire 6 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I can't seem to get a list of contents using your "amixer -c" command. I tried with card names of "USB" and "USB [Saffire 6 USB]". "arecord -l" shows no capture devices. Is there anything else I can do?
I'm very happy to help with testing, not just for my Saffire 6, but anything else I can help you with. Unfortunately the Saffire is the only audio interface I have.

Many thanks again, and sorry if I'm missing anything obvious.

Boik
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

In case it gives any clues.....
boik@boik-SATELLITE-C850-1PM:~$ ls -alR /dev/snd
/dev/snd:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 180 May 5 13:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4580 May 5 13:43 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 May 5 13:43 by-id
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 May 5 13:43 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 4 May 5 13:43 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 3 May 5 13:43 midiC1D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 2 May 5 13:57 pcmC1D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 1 May 5 13:43 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 May 5 13:43 timer

/dev/snd/by-id:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 May 5 13:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 180 May 5 13:43 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 May 5 13:43 usb-Focusrite_Audio_Engineering_Saffire_6USB-00 -> ../controlC1

/dev/snd/by-path:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 May 5 13:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 180 May 5 13:43 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 May 5 13:43 pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:2:1.0 -> ../controlC1
boik@boik-SATELLITE-C850-1PM:~$
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

Could you attach sound/usb/quirks-table.h from your kernel source tree? I suspect that something went wrong with the patching.
boik wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:17 pm I can't seem to get a list of contents using your "amixer -c" command.
What version of the kernel you are using? keep_iface first appeared in 4.18. But anyway we can ignore this issue for now. And I think that full duplex mode with jack should be working fine even without keep_iface (once we get capture working of course).
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

I'm using kernel 5.4.0 .
After my exploits yesterday, I untarred the source to a new destination before applying your patch. It seemed to go well, but it's 25 years since I've done this stuff so might have made a basic error.
Hopefully file is attached.
Attachments
quirks-table.h
(84.7 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

Hrmmm.. quirks-table.h looks good. Please try attached patch. With the new patch you should see "Keep Interface" mixer control via amixer, eg:
$ amixer -c USB controls
numid=1,iface=CARD,name='Keep Interface'

And this will be an evidence that you indeed booted the right kernel.

Also could you attach "sudo lsusb -v -d 1235:0010" output. I found it here:
http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/H ... 54550.html
but who knows, maybe your device is different.
Attachments
saffire-6.txt
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by puleglot on Tue May 05, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Ah, you pointed me in the right direction. Although vmlinuz, initrd etc are in /boot, update-grub is not picking them up for some reason.

Give me a while to sort grub out and I will report back once I've successfully booted into the new patched kernel.
Sorry, for the problem. Still finding my way with this.
Attachments
s6.txt
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Damn, looks like Ubuntu has it's own way of compiling and installing the kernel.
Back to the drawing board.
Gonna be a long night!
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Just to let you know that I am still working on testing this. I followed the new Ubuntu instructions for kernel compilation, but it never got picked up. I was up until the early hours, before I found out that it must do strict pattern matching on kernel names. So update-grub now recognises my kernel and I have booted into it. However, the new kernel hangs on "loading ramdisk". I will look at that this evening.

Sorry to be so slow in testing your changes. A lot has changed since the old days when I used to do this stuff.
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Hello. Well I know this is a precious bank holiday and everyone will be enjoying it, but I need to update this while I still remember.

It's been a nightmare trying to compile the kernel. Only figure I could find for space reqd for recompile was 12GB. managed to free up 201GB on the laptop but kept running out of space. In desperation I built a vbox machine on my server with 50GB and finally (after 2 days) got everything to compile and install.

And by george Mr Puleglot, I think you might have cracked it!!

Inputs are now showing up.

boik@boik-VirtualBox:~$ amixer -c USB contents
numid=1,iface=CARD,name='Keep Interface'
; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
: values=off
boik@boik-VirtualBox:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801AAICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: I82801AAICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel 82801AA-ICH - MIC ADC]
card 1: USB [Saffire 6 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

I tried firing up Ardour, but no surprise, it just kept seizing up with continuous xruns. Time for some family time now, but hopefully tomorrow I can find time the extract stuff from the vbox machine and crowbar them into the laptop.

Thanks again for your perseverence with this, and apologies for the delays at my end.

if this all works, I will definitely buy you a pint!!!
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

************************ S U C C E S S ********************************

Puleglot - you sir are a star!!!

I have been round the kernel recompile loop so many times due to space issues on this dual boot laptop. Finally cracked it by switching off DEBUG options during compile. Reduced object and ramdisk sizes by 80-90%.

Unfortunately upon reboot it still wasn't working with various confusing messages about device in use etc. Then I suddenly remembered that in the past I had applied Shionas .asoundrc and pulse/default.pa patches from github. Removed those, rebooted and everything now just works. Not had any xruns either so far.

So, in summary. To get the USBv1.1 version (1235:0010) working, you just need to apply Puleglots patch from this thread, and recompile the kernel and modules. DO NOT make changes to default.pa or .asoundrc.

Mr (or Mrs) Puleglot. Thank you so much for your help with this. If there's any other testing I can help with please ask. Oh, just remembeerd - I get a lot of "unable to change format on ep #82" messages when the usb-audio module is loaded, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Mods. I'm happy for this to be marked "SOLVED" if it will help others discover this fix.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

boik wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 am So, in summary. To get the USBv1.1 version (1235:0010) working, you just need to apply Puleglots patch from this thread, and recompile the kernel and modules.
Could you please explain how to do that?
You are talking about this patch-file: saffire-6.txt? What do I need to do with this file?
How do I recompile kernel and modules?
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Well, there's lots of good guides on how to download and compile kernel from source, so best search for one to suit your distribution.

The general principle though is to install the tools. Then download the relevant kernel source. Once it is extracted somewhere, go into that directory and type "patch -b -p1 < saffire-6.txt". Copy /boot/config....<your old kernel> as .config into the source directory. Make oldconfig. Make. Make modules_install. Make install. Update-grub. Grub-install.

Sorry, bit busy now, but feel free to ask any questions. I'm not an expert and ran down a few dead ends, but got there in the end.
boik
Established Member

Re: Saffire 6 USB 1.1 no inputs available in Jack (SOLVED)

Post by boik »

And one last thing in case it helps anybody. Rebooted my laptop today the the Saffire had stopped working. Remembering yesterday when it was working, the only difference was that it was plugged into a different USB port. Moved it back to the original and it worked again. Phew!

Looking through the logs saw messages about IRQ16 and timeouts, so I'm guessing this laptap might share resources with this USB controller and another peripheral.

Now sure how common this is, but it might help someone.
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

boik wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 am Mr (or Mrs) Puleglot. Thank you so much for your help with this. If there's any other testing I can help with please ask. Oh, just remembeerd - I get a lot of "unable to change format on ep #82" messages when the usb-audio module is loaded, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.
Thanks for testing! I have a couple of questions:
- Does it work in both 44.1kHz and 48kHz modes?
- Does it work with pulseaudio correctly? I expect that if you open and close capture stream when the playback is active, then playback stream will be interrupted.

As for "unable to change format on ep #82" messages, I think this device accepts sample rate changes only for the playback endpoint, and capture endpoint just operates at the same sample rate. So it needs another quirk.