governor issues on Arch

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: governor issues on Arch

Post by funkmuscle »

Well it's not Mixbus32C.. Just downgraded, same issues.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

I've just had a look at this on my system (Intel).

Code: Select all

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_available_governors
conservative performance schedutil

I do not have the 'cpupower.service' enabled (never have).

In /etc/modules-load.d/modload.conf one of my entries is

acpi_cpufreq
which results in

$ journalctl
systemd-modules-load[379]: Inserted module 'acpi_cpufreq'
Strangely though, if I remove that and reboot I still have all the governors! I'm wondering if that's to do with tuned-git (from the AUR) that I have installed, as that does alter the governor, dependant on your chosen profile.

Also, regarding 'tuned', I will add - using the 'latency performance' tuned profile lowers my DSP load in Jack. So that's something you might want to check out anyway.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

@turbidh20 modern Intel CPUs are using intel_pstate driver.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

puleglot wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 am @turbidh20 modern Intel CPUs are using intel_pstate driver.
Mine isn't, it's disabled at boot.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

turbidh20 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:20 am I've just had a look at this on my system (Intel).

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_available_governors
conservative performance schedutil

I do not have the 'cpupower.service' enabled (never have).

In /etc/modules-load.d/modload.conf one of my entries is

acpi_cpufreq
which results in

$ journalctl
systemd-modules-load[379]: Inserted module 'acpi_cpufreq'
Strangely though, if I remove that and reboot I still have all the governors! I'm wondering if that's to do with tuned-git (from the AUR) that I have installed, as that does alter the governor, dependant on your chosen profile.

Also, regarding 'tuned', I will add - using the 'latency performance' tuned profile lowers my DSP load in Jack. So that's something you might want to check out anyway.
Tuned is a sweet program. Yes less cpu used but the slowdown, robotic sounds, pops and crackles didn't stop.
look, no xruns either:
cadence.png
cadence.png (88.79 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
I have a USB mouse, usb wifi which is usually off when mixing/recording and 2 usb drives attached for storage. To bring on the issue, I'd test stuff and I've noticed that moving the mouse as in scrolling through Mixbus's mixer, it starts or triggers it then it's sporadic. Can any of those devices cause this? I've switched out the mouse, changed the usb port and yet no changes. I don't wanna reinstall Arch.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:11 pmTuned is a sweet program. Yes less cpu used but the slowdown, robotic sounds, pops and crackles didn't stop.
look, no xruns either:
cadence.png
I have a USB mouse, usb wifi which is usually off when mixing/recording and 2 usb drives attached for storage. To bring on the issue, I'd test stuff and I've noticed that moving the mouse as in scrolling through Mixbus's mixer, it starts or triggers it then it's sporadic. Can any of those devices cause this? I've switched out the mouse, changed the usb port and yet no changes. I don't wanna reinstall Arch.
I don't know what Arcolinux is, you would have to check on their forums. The first thing to ask though is did you sort out the cpu governor problem? When did it start and what updates or changes have you made to the system since then?

And reinstalling is for Windows users :wink: I'm using the same Arch install from 2009, migrated over a number of motherboards, CPUs and drives just by using rsync.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

turbidh20 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:55 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:11 pmTuned is a sweet program. Yes less cpu used but the slowdown, robotic sounds, pops and crackles didn't stop.
look, no xruns either:
cadence.png
I don't know what Arcolinux is, you would have to check on their forums. The first thing to ask though is did you sort out the cpu governor problem? When did it start and what updates or changes have you made to the system since then?

And reinstalling is for Windows users :wink: I'm using the same Arch install from 2009, migrated over a number of motherboards, CPUs and drives just by using rsync.
100% arch Arcolinux is. It's just a version with an easy installer program. I have it as a backup because sometimes like this if I have to install Arch I don't have the time to waste doing it their way so there are few distros you can find that's 100% Arch but it comes with a graphic installer which takes 5 minutes compared to the 45 minutes Arch would take me a times. Once it's fully installed it's 100% Arch. Their forum is Arch forum
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

It was my PC. While troubleshooting yesterday, it kept dropping the wifi then randomly shutting down. Scored a used i7 8 core. Thank God I use Arcolinux(Just 100% Arch with a quick graphic installer) and thank you to whoever pointed out to use Tuned.
Made setting up a lot faster.
Thanks again everyone
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Glad you're up and running again. Keep on rocking 8)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:53 pm It was my PC. While troubleshooting yesterday, it kept dropping the wifi then randomly shutting down. Scored a used i7 8 core. Thank God I use Arcolinux(Just 100% Arch with a quick graphic installer) and thank you to whoever pointed out to use Tuned.
Made setting up a lot faster.
Thanks again everyone
The CPU was broken??
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yep it looks like the cpu was on it's last legs.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

funkmuscle wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:54 pm Yep it looks like the cpu was on it's last legs.
How old was it?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

lilith wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:54 pm Yep it looks like the cpu was on it's last legs.
How old was it?
AthlonFX 3100 Quad core
Funny thing is that the i7 when I researched it, it said quad core but this is how Arch sees it:

Intel i7-2600K (8) @ 3.800GHz
Ardour sees 8 processor and also Mixbus32C. Sure runs like it too.