proper way to upgrade ffmpeg in ubuntu studio?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

babag
Established Member

proper way to upgrade ffmpeg in ubuntu studio?

Post by babag »

whenever i try to update ffmpeg to something more contemporary (ubuntu studio 18.04 comes with 3.4 and it's now up to 4.2), it screws up my system. seems like it's woven pretty deeply through a lot of things. not sure. i'd just like to take advantage of some of the advances. is there a method, specific to ubuntu studio, to upgrade ffmpeg?

thanks,
babag

tramp
Established Member

Re: proper way to upgrade ffmpeg in ubuntu studio?

Post by tramp »

babag wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:22 am
is there a method, specific to ubuntu studio, to upgrade ffmpeg?
Nope. As you noticed, it's woven deeply in the system. You could check the library's it is linked against with

Code: Select all

ldd /usr/bin/ffmpeg
You'll see a large, large list. Next step will be to check the dependency's of the lib's from that list. Even, if you manage to update those all to the needed versions, it means that you need to update/rebuild as well all other applications and library's which use one of them.
So the proper way for ubuntu is, update your system to a never version (19.04), as that is anyway were you ended when you try it by yourself.
On the road again.

babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks, tramp.

i think you're probably right about just upgrading the system rather than trying to update ffmpeg. do you know what version of ffmpeg comes with 19.04 and 19.10? i haven't found that info anywhere and it might not be worth the bother of upgrading if ffmpeg is still an older version. also, might be worth it, for me, to wait until a new lts system is released.

other possible solution i see is to install the snap for ffmpeg and just leave the version installed with the system alone. that way i could specifically call the snap version for instances in which the system version doesn't yet have the tools i might need. the version in snap seems much more recent.

thanks again,
babag

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

It's on launchpad: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/ffmpeg
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/eoan/+source/ffmpeg

looks like 4.1 for both.

Well, snap may be possible, I don't know, I never have used it, .
On the road again.