(hope this is the right place) audio routing

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

(hope this is the right place) audio routing

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, I have a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen and I can plug into it with my guitar and hear it.
The problem I;m having with that is that when I'm recording say in Ardour, I go through a bus with effects and that is routed to an audio track.
What happens is that I hear the original sound more than I hear what's going on with the bus track as I'm Eqing and added other effects that I want recorded.
I DO NOT WANT TO DO THE SO CALLED 'RECORD THEN FIX IN THE MIX!' as I would like resources for reverbs, etc.
Is it possible TO ONLY HEAR the guitar from the signal going through the Bus tracks with the effects and not the overall system?

I mean I can play my guitar without Jack and hear it. That signal is heard along with the processed Bus track. How do I shut that off and control the routing of my signal so I can only hear it where and when I want to hear it?

So once again, my attempted routing is:
guitar > Focusite > Ardour Bus w/ effects > to audio track and be recorded
without hearing the original input but only hearing the bus with effects.

EDIT: Simpler way to explain. If an amp is in a soundproof booth in a studio and you're at the engineer's desk, you're only hearing the mic'd amp through the monitors or headphones. So signal is:
guitar to amp > amp is mic'd > mic pick up signal > sound comes through monitors/headphones.
So if the engineer added delay or something on his mixer console where the mic'd guitar channel is, you're hearing the altered sound and not the amp as the effects were not added to the guitar but to the mic channel.
So with Alsa always on, you plug a guitar or mic into interface, you will hear sound. When recording, I need to be able to mute the system(alsa) sound and hear ONLY what is being sent and manipulated (EQ, FX, etc) to the DAW via the Bus channel.
JBandi
Established Member

Re: (hope this is the right place) audio routing

Post by JBandi »

Make sure that "Direct monitor" is turned off. You say that you hear the guitar w/o Jack running, so direct monitoring might be enabled.

When you're tracking guitar, monitor it's track in the DAW itself, not on the interface.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thank you sir! That did the trick.
JBandi
Established Member

Post by JBandi »

I'm glad I could help. :)