All of a sudden uncontrollable X runs

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

All of a sudden uncontrollable X runs

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey everyone, all of a sudden a song I've been working on for the past few weeks started to give me uncontrollable X runs. No Hardware has been changed and no new plugins has been added to the mix. I'm on Arch and on a daily basis I would just do an update to see if there's the latest version of anything. I didn't see anything to do with audio that has been updated over the past 3 days. This issue started 2 days ago.
Ardour is fine but mixbus is what I use for doing all of my mixing and it's going insane but the X runs.
I even bypassed all of the plugins and it's still doing the same thing. One thing I was always able to do without any issues is to check at tutorial on YouTube while mixbus is running using Chromium.
As I was looking at at tutorial today to help me fix up a bass guitar track call me the video could not play without causing a lot of X runs and it kept popping and cracking or clicking.
Closed mixbus i I'm there was no issue playing the video. Close the browser and opened up to do some more mixing and I have to stop because it was absolutely unbearable. Any clues to helping me overcome this?
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: All of a sudden uncontrollable X runs

Post by Michael Willis »

I don't know what your specific problem is, but I had a similar problem a while back (maybe about a year ago) after downloading an update from the Ubuntu repos. At first I had no clue what was going on, but I used the command line tool `top` to find that a single process was taking an exorbitant amount of CPU power. I don't remember what the name of the process was, but I searched for the name of the process and found out that many people were experiencing the same problem, it was a bug in dbus, and the problem was resolved within a week after another update.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: All of a sudden uncontrollable X runs

Post by funkmuscle »

The problem is solved actually. I booted into the vanilla kernel instead of the real-time kernel and no more X runs.
Thanks Michael's for your answers though.