anybody having problems with latest linux-rt and KDE?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

anybody having problems with latest linux-rt and KDE?

Post by Capoeira »

KDE works normaly with normal kernel, and with the linux-rt-lts kernel, too. but when I boot into the linux-rt kernel KDE will partialy crash after loeading (plasma disapears leaving only the background picture, while mouse and keyboard still responsive).
I think it started with the last rt kernel before 5.0. now I have linux-rt 5.0.5.
could be a problem with nvidia driver, too
merlyn
Established Member

Re: anybody having problems with latest linux-rt and KDE?

Post by merlyn »

I've had a problem with this kernel. My USB devices disconnect. The rest of the system carries on fine. This has happened in 5.0.3 rt and 5.0.5 rt

I'm using openbox and an AMD card with amdgpu.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

merlyn wrote:I've had a problem with this kernel. My USB devices disconnect. The rest of the system carries on fine. This has happened in 5.0.3 rt and 5.0.5 rt

I'm using openbox and an AMD card with amdgpu.
Are you using KDE?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

No. I've got openbox without a desktop environment.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

merlyn wrote:No. I've got openbox without a desktop environment.
I see
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

I'm using the 5.0.5 rt kernel here with no problems (ok, no problems is saying too much, see my other thread, but as far as I understand those problems are not related to the 5.0.5 rt kernel, at least I hope so!). System: Arch, DE: KDE. Intel graphics, I'd say it's not unlikely that this is related to the graphics driver.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

@Musicteacher I've got AMD drivers and Capoeira has Nvidia. It could be both graphics drivers.

It could be kernel 5.0+ is causing your thermal problems as someone posted on the Arch forum : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=245542

Have you tried the stock kernel?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey Cap, I've been having funky issues too with Arch. The screen will start to flicker, if I open a file manager to look for a file, the file moves when I try to click on it. Same with Mixbus or Ardour. You try to select a track and it moves.. Just weird stuff lately.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Hmm, I use KDE on nvidia right now and haven't had any graphics related issues. I have had a mouse issue with the scroll wheel being a bit wonky for the last few weeks, but that was fixed after updating the system yesterday. Personally I'm not aware of any specific problems with 5.0.x-rt.

Since I maintain the AUR build script for both linux-rt and linux-rt-lts it would interest me to know if this is only on Archlinux? The config changed quite a lot for v5, and is identical to the distro config except for the preemption model. Before there used to be quite a few more differences, but the distro config has changed so there is no need anymore to change anything except for preemption model.

Except if you'd really like to tune it for your own system, where you probably could reduce kernel scheduling latency even further, but then it wouldn't really be be suitable as a general purpose kernel on all systems and for all users. I've tried to stay as close as possible to the distro config all these years I've maintained the kernels.

Also note that linux-rt (at the moment 5.0.5-rt5) is to be considered alpha/beta level it's where things are tested with the rt patch, linux-rt-lts (4.19.31-rt18) is considered stable.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

@funkmuscle Are you using 5.0.5 RT?

On the 3rd of March the maintainer of the AUR package posted this:
jhernberg wrote:I've just removed the patch for nvidia that has been used for years. Apparently it's no longer needed, have tested on 2 systems one with the current nvidia driver, and another with nvidia-340xx. The symptom was that without the patch X would hang making the GUI unresponsive, while the rest of the system kept on working. Hopefully it doesn't break anything :)
Has it broken things? 5.0.5 RT is unusable for me.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Jack Winter wrote:Also note that linux-rt (at the moment 5.0.5-rt5) is to be considered alpha/beta level it's where things are tested with the rt patch, linux-rt-lts (4.19.31-rt18) is considered stable.
Thanks for clarifying that. 4.19.31-rt18 works on my system. I'll stick with that.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

@merlyn

I don't think that is related. What used to happen without the patch is that the GUI would hang after a few minutes, while the underlying system would still run, respond to network requests, etc. I've removed it on both linux-rt and linux-rt-lts and have seen no signs of nvidia hanging on my systems for a couple of months without the patch.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I smells like an Invidia driver issue.

Do use that driver, too @Funkmuscle?

EDIT:
I also like to add that I had the oportunity to reproduce this on two installs since I made a fresh install after buying a NVDE HD

@Jack Winter
I use the pro-audio repo in Arch.
actualy it has been some time since I compared stock and RT kernel in terms of latency. I will test if I really need it
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Capoeira wrote:I smells like an Invidia driver issue.

Do use that driver, too @Funkmuscle?

EDIT:
I also like to add that I had the oportunity to reproduce this on two installs since I made a fresh install after buying a NVDE HD

@Jack Winter
I use the pro-audio repo in Arch.
actualy it has been some time since I compared stock and RT kernel in terms of latency. I will test if I really need it
no Cap, I have AMD so ATI and using OpenBox at the moment. I was working on a session in Mixbus and had to leave for an hour.. Came back to a frozen system as usual. Doesn't happen with the vanilla.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

It seams 5.0.7-rt5-1-rt solved the problem here