16 sample buffer with Arch Linux

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Re: 16 sample buffer with Arch Linux

Post by merlyn »

Jack Winter wrote:Most likely AVL didn't patch the rt kernel to work around a NVIDIA bug. The symptoms are that the system boots into a GUI but the GUI hangs after a short while.
Just to be clear : when you wrote 'NVIDIA' you're referring to the nvidia proprietary drivers?

What I meant was :

Arch + nouveau + RT kernel + small buffer = audio

AV Linux + nouveau + RT kernel + small buffer = kkkkrrrrtttttt (unpleasant sound)

It seems that it would be an involved process to figure that out, :)
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

merlyn wrote:Just to be clear : when you wrote 'NVIDIA' you're referring to the nvidia proprietary drivers?
Yes, if you don't patch the rt kernel specifically the nvidia proprietary drivers will hang, it's been like that for many years. NVIDIA's solution is to refuse building kernel modules when it detects a rt kernel, but this can be overridden with a command line parameter to nvidia when creating the driver package. Hopefully they'll fix that once PREEMPT_RT is added to the main kernel. :)
What I meant was :

Arch + nouveau + RT kernel + small buffer = audio

AV Linux + nouveau + RT kernel + small buffer = kkkkrrrrtttttt (unpleasant sound)

It seems that it would be an involved process to figure that out, :)
I don't know why that would be, but archlinux probably has a newer kernel so newer nouveau drivers than your old install. Maybe that's the reason, or some other difference in kernel configuration. I haven't tried the nouveau drivers for ages, been using the onboard cpu intel gpu for many years as that seems to give the best rt performance. Have recently switched to nvidia for testing a game, but I haven't really tested how well it performs low latency wise.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Thanks Jack.