Too bad we did not succeed in 'beating' Win10 in this case, but good that we are at least 'on par'
Yes it's a bit disappointing!
I get the best results with a "stock" Xubuntu 18.04 and the Liquorix RT-Kernel. All music distros I've tested (AV and KX) were garbage on my system.
I probably could better tweak Linux to do the job but it's really hard to understand every relevant setting and test it, test it, test it...
Now comes the time we only want to play music!@Jack Winter
The cynic in me thinks this might be due to wanting to sell hardware and not wanting to be the only one that report errors...
It's probably true!!!
I mean, the audio playback at 32 and 64 samples buffer size is EXACTLY THE SAME for Win10 and Linux: full of glitches...
The simpler you make the routing the faster reaper will be able to finish calculating the audio
I know, but the Reaper project was already set in this direction. I cannot simplify anymore.
It's actually pretty easy:
12 input tracks (8 for drums, 1 for bass, 1 for git1, 1 for git2, 1 for vox). These tracks contains all the plugins and all automated features (level, pan, effect preset changes).
1 sub-mix for the master output (no plugin).
1 sub-mix for the drummer (no plugin).
1 sub-mix for the bassist (no plugin).
1 sub-mix for the guitarist (no plugin).
1 sub-mix for the guitarist/singer (no plugin).
And you get 90 tracks in total!!!
Regarding fx, maybe it's just a single fx on some track or the master that is taking a long time to finish calculating the DSP
No, I'm pretty sure this is the sum of all effects that becomes too heavy.
Minimizing the amount of fx on each track and the master might also allow you to go a step lower.
I've already minimized the amount of effects!
For sure I need some EQ, comp and reverb on a snare track. If not, I can make a better mix with our Soundcraft Ui24R.
There is no effect on the master track.
Still happy to see that reaper for linux is performing on par to the windows version for you. That is encouraging to see.
mmm... Yes, but only with the RT Liquorix kernel, in my case.
Tweaking Win10 for audio takes about 30 minutes.
Tweaking Linux for audio takes... errr... and unknown amount of time. It never ends up
. It's good if you know what you're doing but it's really difficult if you're a nood or semi-noob like me