Conky (or system monitors)?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlbertoZ
Established Member

Conky (or system monitors)?

Post by AlbertoZ »

Hello there,

I'm an aficionado of my Cinnamon desktop environment in Linux Mint 18.3. In conjunction with conky (system monitor) it is a real eye-catcher,
What do you think about conky itself? Is it adding lot of overhead? Do you use it in your audio production setup?
Any experience to be shared here?

Alberto
protozone
Established Member

Re: Conky (or system monitors)?

Post by protozone »

I know i will sound ignorant asking this, but what exactly is Conky?
If it's a compositor, can I safely delete it?
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Conky has been part of my setup for a good 10+ years (I run it on top of Fluxbox), and I don't remember having any particular issue for audio production, nothing like xruns, etc... So I'd say go for it.
But it highly depends on how you configure your monitors. Since it can run pretty much any back end command at any polling interval, you could perfectly mess up performance pretty badly ;-)
Last I remember, I kept mostly basic settings like cpu, top processes, memory disk usage and network throughput with a polling every second.
I'd say, if you suspect that it is causing some issues, try first lowering the polling frequency and/or measure it in parallel with top or htop, see if it ends up in the top process list.
With Cinnamon, I think you might also run into issues with compositing, although I don't have much experience there (since Fluxbox is not that sophisticated).
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

I don't anything about conky in particular. I think I totally removed it from my MX system.
Some DAW sites claim that compositing should be disabled. I tried it both ways on Ubuntu Studio, Xubuntu, and some other Linuxes.
Ultimately, I don't think it makes much difference anymore for the types of computers and programs that I use. So I turn all the features of
the compositor on and it looks really nice.

I did see a study that Compiz will bog down a syste perhaps if you set it for 3D desktop effects.
Maybe compositing is more of an issue for larger screens.
AlbertoZ
Established Member

Post by AlbertoZ »

@protozone; Conky is this kind of tool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conky_(so ... _Linux.png
and it allows to continuously keep under control CPU, Memory, Disk, Netiwork etc.
Since it polls data every (typ) 1 sec, I wonedered about the audio process impacts,
which should have priority over all process.

@gimmeapill: ok, good to know. Thanks for the suggestions..

alberto