[SOLVED] What should I do to make MX Linux pro audio?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] What should I do to make MX Linux pro audio?

Post by protozone »

Michael Willis wrote:
protozone wrote:I am in the early steps of writing an E-Book on implementing a Linux DAW from nearly scratch.
Wow, that's ambitious! If you're willing, please share early drafts as you go. I think you'll have better results if you incorporate feedback early and often. I'm willing to at least read through your material and share my opinions.

Since there are so many ways to go about producing music on Linux, everybody kind of finds their own way of doing things. To write a book, you have to decide if you want to write about how to explore the many options, or more like "this is how I did it and what works for me", or a hybrid approach. One way can cover a lot of breadth, the other can have more focus and depth.
Thanks for the insights. You have good points.

Actually, after thinking about everything I do when I set up a fresh Linux,... well, it's an easy habit nowadays, but it does involve a LOT of details I've memoried from repetition. It's not tons, but I'm thinking maybe the project is too ambitious. I was working a little bit last night, and the project could get out of hand and get too big and I realised that I might make some dumb mistakes and accidentally post the wrong infos, which would be bad.

I'm guessing that the simplist thing I could do is just make a concise list of everything I've done which I can remember that has helped and try to leave out the other stuff so I don't get bogged down trying to make it neat and appealing and comforting.

One kinda fun thing is that yesterday I tried out Sigil and it prints to PDF pretty easily so I have some of that covered. Also, I tried RecordMyDesktop for the first time, and it works really well. So maybe I'll just make some Linux DAW tips videos instead.

The other downside of videos, though, is that they take up so much bandwidth and that's not convenient for all users who just want to get the facts and use them quickly. But oddly enough, I think I know more about how to make and upload and share videos than about how to write a decent bit of text and incorporate decent clear images. And even though videos are huge and uploading can be as tricky as downloading, I could just use Vimeo and it would be probably be fine. The other downside is that I don't want to reveal too much about my personal directory structures and usernames and stuff since that might be a security risk.

Probably I'll try to do a combination of these:

1) animated .GIF's using LICEcap
2) PDF's of text and .PNG's with also clickable links to the sites which helped me
3) quoted [ code ] text [ / code ] type of entries with my actual config files (sanitized of personal info)
4) just plain recorded audio, podcast style, of what I do/did instead of the video.

So far I'm not really sure, so I'm just testing stuff out.

But do you know of any decent free file hosting sites for the non-video stuffs ?
I don't want to use the wrong sites because if I did the files would expire and nobody would have the infos.

I know I can use Vimeo for video, hearthis.at or soundcloud.com for plain audio. I don't want to flood the forums with my jabbering and yammering either. I'm too good at that :lol: But those are OK for code quotes.

I admit I'm an amateur, but I really want to make this work.
Linux and the Linux community has been great to me and I want to give back in ways that will last for several years.

What do you guys think?