alsa wants to use my gpu..!

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fastesteddy
Established Member

alsa wants to use my gpu..!

Post by fastesteddy »

Hi all..

Please be gentle with me, am a linux noob and am at the bottom of a vertical learning curve..

Actually, reason I never made it to linux before was for this same reason, could not get my soundcard to work.. Am determined now though, will stick with it and learn the OS properly (even got a linux for dummies book!)

Will be happy today just to get my onboard soundcard to work.. MOBO is a Gigabyte 170 gaming 7 with a built in creative soundcore 3d.. I will get a pcie sound card when I can work out what works in linux...

I have just installed my nvidia drivers in KXstudio and it seems the system now wants to use my nvidia gpu as the default sound source.. So my question is, how to make it use the creative onboard sound as the default..?

Thanks..
fastesteddy
Established Member

Re: alsa wants to use my gpu..!

Post by fastesteddy »

Hi..

Only took several hours of research, but sort of got there in the end.. Managed to change the default device to the right one, created the etc/asound.conf file so it booted up correctly (quite proud of myself, woulda run back to Wincrap a few years ago) so the mixer now shows the correct device.. Hurrah..!

but.. still no sound..
Seen many posts on the net of folks with the same problem with poor linux support for onboard Creative stuff, would have given up but there was the odd one that reported they got it working so thought it a good exercise for me to cut my teeth on.. shame it did not work in the end..

Am not too upset about it, always knew I would not be using the onboard sound for anything other than system stuff... Been using an m-audio 2496 for years, but the new motherboard has no pci slots.. I gather pci-e cards can be a mare to configure, so I am going for a usb device which I am hoping will work out of the box, want to be making music, not spending weeks messing with config files..

I know this is old stuff for you wizards out there, seen many posts of usb devices being recommended but.. can I ask for thoughts on a m-audio m-track c series (with midi in/out) and whether it runs out of the box..? Any other device that may be comparable (or even better) for the money?
Am not a professional, but I have enjoyed using cubase before and playing guitar over midi files as backing tracks.. Am also guessing that this sort of device will sound pretty decent as a system tool (like watching movies)..
fastesteddy
Established Member

Post by fastesteddy »

Forgive me nooobing all over the place, doing some serious catching up on what is probably old hat to all you folks..
Have now ordered a Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen which should arrive end of the week, hopefully it will run out of the box, or I will be back on here with extra nooby questions..

Cant really play with all the software on KXstudio yet till I get this usb sound card, but anyone point me towards something that is not to different from cubase? Would very much like to be able to play with midi files, soundbanks and with live recording (guitar) on top..
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

fastesteddy wrote:m-audio m-track c series (with midi in/out) and whether it runs out of the box..? Any other device that may be comparable (or even better) for the money?
When I was shopping for an interface, I had my eye on that one; everything that I read indicated that it should work fine with Linux, but I ended up buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (which also has midi), mostly because I found a used one for slightly cheaper than I could find the m-audio one used. I've been really happy with the 2i4. Either one would probably work fine for you.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Be warned!
I don't know about the 2i2 but for 2nd generation units both the 6i6 and 8i8 require setting up via their Control panel software. This is not available for Linux :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
fastesteddy
Established Member

Post by fastesteddy »

Thanks guys.. Went with the 2i4 in the end, found a new one for a decent price..
The plot sickens though.. Even though I have no sound at the moment, I decided to spend a couple of hours looking around KXstudio but hey, nothing works.. I mean absolutely nothing works, at all..!
Every single thing I try to run pops up on the bar at the bottom, has a whirly ring-thing going round for 20-30 secs, then disappears.. The only things that does work are firefox and konsole..
So I have re-installed it, several times now, gone to an earlier version, changed the hard disk, run it off a usb, all results in the same thing.. nothing works..
Meanwhile, I put together a bootable usb for my son who is a gamer and wanted sparky-linux (gaming distro).. He installed it on his identical (made 2 pc's for us both, every component exactly the same) and his linux installed first time, he has sound and everything else works flawlessly right off the bat..
Started to investigate KXstudio install issues and was quickly overwhelmed and overloaded with massive amount of geeky info, clearly not for the beginner..
So am going to have a go at doing the same as my son and will install sparky-linux.. Been going at this KXstudio for days now and am getting nowhere, will see what happens with sparky before trying KX again..
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Aww, sorry to hear that. If you can't get around to installing sparky for a bit, you could try plugging the interface into the working game rig, just to see if it works there.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

AVLinux may be another way to start out, it's already set up with much of what would typically be required and would be one way to "ease into Linux audio". And yes, the learning curve is unfortunately steep and requires significant investments in time & tinkering.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
fastesteddy
Established Member

Post by fastesteddy »

Oh wow.. still struggling to get my head around this..
Seems my Windows was interfering with my KXstudio install.. Thought it was an incompatibility problem at first, started doing research into it and came across a youtube video that explained about how Microsoft actually try and screw up Linux installs.. Did not quite believe that at first, thought the bloke was a bit anti-Microsoft, and was then downloading a few different distros to try out.. My Windows promptly deleted them..! Try as I might, I simply could not get any distro of Linux to install properly..

Eventually I re-jinked my system so that Windows was on its own drive, then I removed it from my pc.. I then tried Linux Mint install, which would not work before, but it did this time, went straight in..!!
So have spent the last couple of days simply enjoying exploring Linux Mint, and I have to say I am sold.. More than 20 years of being involved with Windows happily chucked in the bin, forever..!!
Linux is fantastic, enormous amount of free software which I could spend years playing with.. Enough of my drooling noobiness..
Am having a play with a few audio tools, Qtractor, Qjackctl,Rakarrack etc.. Had some success in getting some things going which was helped by the delivery of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which has just run straight out of the box (yay..!), bit of fiddling around with Qjackctl and it fit right in with Qtractor..

So... Going to give it a few more days becoming familiar with Linux, then going to give KXstudio another go.. Am assuming I will get further with KXstudio and its pre-loaded/configured software than I would trying to install the same stuff in Mint..?
Anyway, thank you guys for the help so far, will get back on the forum within the next week when I take the plunge with KXstudio..
Meanwhile.. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....!
fastesteddy
Established Member

Post by fastesteddy »

I give up..
Installed KXstudio and it has been nothing but hassle since.. When I installed Mint, everything worked and was configured correctly.. With KXstudio, nothing was.. Am sure it is fine for those that know how to configure their entire system from a terminal, but I want to be making music, not spending days wading through guides trying to make something work.. Really dont like the choice of system software in KXstudio either, from the file browser to, well, just about all of it felt clumsy and counter-intuitive..
Am going back to Mint where I felt comfortable and everything works without any problems..
Have fun guys..
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

A bit surprised about that, but the good news is that you can get on with one of very many Linux environments.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}