Is there a way to send midi messages out from my PC's usb to and iPad app using linux?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

yagolimalins

Is there a way to send midi messages out from my PC's usb to and iPad app using linux?

Post by yagolimalins »

Until some time ago I was using vsts on my linux distribution, but I recently bought an Ipad, you know, there's some cool stuff on iOS, but the things went too complicated when I noticed that I need to constantly change programs and build some complex layers and splits between different apps...

After some reflection I came to a solution: MidiLayer! I was using this awesome piece of software on my linux distro some time ago and I thought that MidiLayer would make the things easier so I came to this configuration:

Midi controller (Akai MPK261) --> Win 7 Notebook --> MidiLayer --> RTP-MIDI Driver --> iPad (Connected to my notebook trought an Ad-hoc network)

The arrows indicate to where my midi signal is being routed, is a complex solution but works very nice, I got no noticeable latency, in this way I can re-route my midi signal trought different channels and apps, build complex layers and splits using midilayer and so on... the role of midilayer is to be my "preset manager" while my iPad process the sound, I can even "skip and reward" presets by using an footswitch with midilayer like professional keyboards do (Korg kronos for example).

So I think that I find my very own and favorite configuration until now, althought it seems to work flawlessly, I'm kinda afraid with my signal being sent over wifi to my iPad, especially because I need to use Windows given that I only could find an solution to send midi messages from my notebook to my iPad using the RTP-MIDI driver (only found on Windows 7, developed by Tobias Erichsen).

Is there some reliable solution using a usb port to send midi messages out to an iPad using Linux or even on Windows?

Thanks in advance!
yagolimalins

Re: Is there a way to send midi messages out from my PC's usb to and iPad app using linux?

Post by yagolimalins »

I solved my problem, I found an iPad app called MusicIO, it allows me to send and receive midi and audio data from and to my iPad trought an usb cable, it has a vst plugin for the computer side, I'm running it on windows and I don't know if works on linux using carla and win bridges since iTunes and midiloop are dependencies for running the plugin, so I'm using Win 7.

So my current configuration is:

Akai MPK261 --> MusicIO (PC VST) --> MidiLayer --> MusicIO (PC VST --> iOS App) --> Sampletank, Korg iM1, Akai iMPC Pro

I'm using Cantabile Lite to host the VST part of MusicIO on PC, everything is running smooth, no latency, no midi data loss in the process :)
amiga1000

Re: Is there a way to send midi messages out from my PC's usb to and iPad app using linux?

Post by amiga1000 »

You might want to check out "RTPMIDI for Linux." It sends the same RTP MIDI protocol that is on the Mac and there's one for Windows too. It finds MIDI connections on your network using Bonjour/Avahi. Commercial product. https://mclarenlabs.com