Controlling jack volume when using pulseaudio

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Controlling jack volume when using pulseaudio

Post by sysrqer »

I have come back to using pulseaudio and currently have it bridged to jack. Everything is working well so far but I've run in to a little annoyance. When I the volume buttons on my laptop they control the volume of pulseaudio master which is fine until I noticed that firefox is now using jack directly so this, renoise, and ardour obviously do not change in volume when I press the buttons. I also cannot change the volume of jack with the volume mixer in the taskbar because this (it seems) is just a frontend for pavucontrol.

I think I can reassign the keys to control the card volume I am using with amixer commands but this isn't ideal, I would lose the volume OSD from plasma because it apparently only works with pulseaudio.

So what is the normal way around this? I was thinking about only running jack when I need to use ardour/renoise but it's a bit of a pain to turn jack on and off all the time.
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Controlling jack volume when using pulseaudio

Post by Pablo »

What kind of jackd are you using?
I am using jackdbus (which is the default in modern distros, I think)
and I control the speakers volume with the keyboard/mouse.

I am checking now and I see that here the keyboard volume control is linked
to the master playback of alsamixer (even if the general sound setting is a pulseaudio
frontend). I am using ubuntu 14.04 with Unity.

Cheers! Pablo
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

On one of my systems, Ardour is connecting via JACK to pulseaudio. It's fully shit because when receiving system notifications from KDE, it becomes louder, when not receiving, it becomes silent. So both jackd and system notifications work via the same puleaudio bus. It's a crap.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

sadko4u wrote:On one of my systems, Ardour is connecting via JACK to pulseaudio. It's fully shit because when receiving system notifications from KDE, it becomes louder, when not receiving, it becomes silent. So both jackd and system notifications work via the same puleaudio bus. It's a crap.
Yeah, try doing it the other way round and have pulseaudio connecting to JACK.